QE Vs Wilson School

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PS2000

QE Vs Wilson School

Post by PS2000 »

I know they are very far and almost opposite ends of London so most people will only one of them on their radar. However, The situation is bit different for us as we will have to move in either case and therefore the need to compare.

I have done some analysis myself on academics and I feel QE beats Wilson in GCSC. However on “A levels” Wilson is ahead (only marginally though).

DS has achieved QE score of 234 and has passed Wilson 2nd Stage. I would really appreciate your feedback on the subject
ToadMum

Re: QE Vs Wilson School

Post by ToadMum »

PS2000 wrote:I know they are very far and almost opposite ends of London so most people will only one of them on their radar. However, The situation is bit different for us as we will have to move in either case and therefore the need to compare.

I have done some analysis myself on academics and I feel QE beats Wilson in GCSC. However on “A levels” Wilson is ahead (only marginally though).

DS has achieved QE score of 234 and has passed Wilson 2nd Stage. I would really appreciate your feedback on the subject
Which school did you and your DS actually feel would suit him better, when you visited? Presumably, by now you have been to both at least 3 times - open evening, exam day and post results tour at QE and open evening and two exam days at Wilson's? Or did your DS sit the exams st one of the other schools? Which area would you prefer to live in? Do you / your OH have to commute to a workplace, or do you both work from home? Are there other siblings to consider, who will also require school places?

Lots of things to consider which are so much more important than, which school's cohort six or eight years older than your own child got a few percentage points-worth of A*s more than the other's last year, TBH.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PS2000

Post by PS2000 »

Thanks for your reply Toldmum.

Unfortunately We could only visit QE ( obvsly we gave test in Wilson, but could not go to the open evening) - DS really liked QE.

Work location - Since we work in central London so both the places should be ok.

Regarding the place for living ( i.e Sutton vs Barnet) - our impression of Barnet is good but we don't hate Sutton either.

Hence the confusion.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can't judge A levels until you know what barriers there are to continue a subject into Year 13. Someone reported that QE require a B in Year 12 so you need to know what Wilson's is.

Perusal of Wilson's sixth form prospectus says: "Progression into the Upper Sixth is dependent on obtaining a standard. This is CCC at AS (excluding EPQ). Students who do not achieve this are able to reach their potential by repeating"
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Hi, My DS got 262 in QE, received Wilson's confirmation last week, and is also qualified for Tiffin Stage-2. The child is quite academic and enjoys every academic task given to him at home as well as at tuition. He is quite competitive and consistent with high scores all the times. We live close to Tiffin School (20min bus ride). Can anyone compare the schools QE, Wilson's and Tiffin and suggest which school is suitable to the child? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Amber

Post by Amber »

vnaras wrote:Can anyone compare the schools QE, Wilson's and Tiffin and suggest which school is suitable to the child?
Only you can do that, because only you know the child. You need to take him to look at them all and do lots of research into which area you prefer, which is easier to get to, what fits with the rest of your family - that kind of thing. Asking total strangers which school suits your child best is not likely to get results which help you much. On the face of it to me it looks like you should go to the nearest one rather than either facing a house move or expecting your child to travel miles every day to school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

vnaras wrote:Hi, My DS got 262 in QE, received Wilson's confirmation last week, and is also qualified for Tiffin Stage-2. The child is quite academic and enjoys every academic task given to him at home as well as at tuition. He is quite competitive and consistent with high scores all the times. We live close to Tiffin School (20min bus ride). Can anyone compare the schools QE, Wilson's and Tiffin and suggest which school is suitable to the child? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Well, given that it is your DS who had to sit all those e exams, who did school does he favour out of the three of them? There can't have been any point in him sitting the Sutton exams and certainly not the QE one, of there was no thought of him going there if he did well enough, surely? Otherwise presumably it would have been a question of, okay, have a bash at the local grammar, but if that fails, it will be Local non-selective A / Local non-selective B, or whatever.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you live close to Tiffin than that is the school for your ds.

The school most suitable to your ds is the one he can get to easily without the whole family having to move.

You do not have to attend a school just because you get a qualifying score.

Choose the school that fits in with your family. He will do well at all of them. DG
almond2009

Post by almond2009 »

PS2000 says he has to move anyway; hence I don't think distance should be a factor here. Who is to say 20 minutes by bus to one school is better than 5 minutes walk to another (if OP moves)?

Op, we are going through this process for the first time. Personally I prefer a school with no catchment over one that has catchment. Having said that, you can't go wrong with any of the three schools. The rest is down to logistics and property prices. Do you have younger siblings to consider?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I was responding to Vnaras who is 20 mins bus drive from Tiffin and so does not need to move. DG