A levels taken at DAO

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

A levels taken at DAO

Post by loobylou »

Just in case this is interesting/useful for anyone as 6th form open evenings approach, this is the number of students doing particular A levels at DAO last year. I do not know the total number of students in the year.
Maths 121 (and FM 34)
Chemistry 79
Biology 68
History 59
Physics 45
Economics 35
English Lit 32
Politics 29
Psychology 25
RS 22
Geography 17
Art and Design 16
Music 14
Business Studies 12
Sociology 11
Music Technology 8
Spanish 7
Textiles 7
Product Design 7
French 6
PE 6
Drama 6
German 4
Citizenship 1
Amber

Re: A levels taken at DAO

Post by Amber »

Smiling at the irony of one person studying citizenship.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Amber wrote:Smiling at the irony of one person studying citizenship.
I did too :lol:
I've never heard of it before.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The cost of running those courses for small classes is being subsidised; is that a good use of the budget?
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Only 17 languages A-levels! There were a lot more taking languages when I was there xx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

ale21279 wrote:Only 17 languages A-levels! There were a lot more taking languages when I was there xx
Yes I think this might be an unusual year. I'm sure I was told that the year before had history as it's second highest A level in terms of numbers of people sitting it. It will be interesting to see whether languages numbers are higher again next year.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes. The year before History was the second most popular A level. It is a very strong department. Both my dds did A Level History, it was an absolute given, first choice for both of them. DG
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

I have no doubt the popularity of History as a subject at DAO is a reflection of how good this subject is taught and the strength of the History teachers. In my experience (however many years ago) how popular a subject often depended on the teachers. Is it possible that young people can get swayed into a subject because of the teachers. Will it mean they relinquish, let’s say a science subject in favour of History, which might not otherwise happen?

As strong as a dept is, I wouldn’t want a bias in decision, ironically, because of one set of great teachers.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

It doesn't look like it from last year's statistics.
Both my children want to do history because they love it so I can't really comment from their perspective but my dd and her friends are considering their choices at the moment and none of them appear to be being swayed by particular teachers/departments.
A few are considering medicine and are planning 2 sciences plus history as it's their favourite non-science subject (which might be because the department is brilliant but they still are choosing to do it because they are enjoying it). Lots are doing maths plus two sciences. One is planning to leave because she wants to do computer science.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How do they justify subsidising small class sizes? This must impact on provision for other year groups.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now