11+ outcome 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: 11+ outcome 2018

Post by anotherdad »

ale21279 wrote:We only took two exams - that one, and a GS in the next town.

Does that make me an "excessive helicopter parent" or "obsessive"
Not at all. That's entirely reasonable. Yours is not the sort of approach I was commenting on.
Forum11+

Post by Forum11+ »

“excessive helicopter“, he meant that some parents took 11+ exam to a different level.
schlumpf

Post by schlumpf »

Unfortunately, for some of us, the local alternatives are not at all appealing - drug dealing gangs, police outside the shool gates every single day, bad teaching (if low value added scores can be equated with bad teaching), etc. The experiences of some local comps can make ferrying your children around multiple mock exams look extremely appealing :lol:

So this is what I was 'chasing': A safe, studious environment where it's not super uncool (or even unsafe) to be one of the kids who's doing academically well. A school where he can bring his instrument and enjoy playing it without having to worry about being jeered at (this did actually happen to my daughter who's at the local comp in Year 7 - she's never since taken her instrument to school :( ). A school where being a maths or physics geek doesn't mean you're considered weird and are not going to have any friends unless you hide the fact that you like those subjects. In short, a school where it's safe to be yourself.

Happy to be called a helicopter parent, obsessive or whatever you like for that any day.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

schlumpf wrote:Unfortunately, for some of us, the local alternatives are not at all appealing - drug dealing gangs, police outside the shool gates every single day, bad teaching (if low value added scores can be equated with bad teaching), etc. The experiences of some local comps can make ferrying your children around multiple mock exams look extremely appealing :lol:

So this is what I was 'chasing': A safe, studious environment where it's not super uncool (or even unsafe) to be one of the kids who's doing academically well. A school where he can bring his instrument and enjoy playing it without having to worry about being jeered at (this did actually happen to my daughter who's at the local comp in Year 7 - she's never since taken her instrument to school :( ). A school where being a maths or physics geek doesn't mean you're considered weird and are not going to have any friends unless you hide the fact that you like those subjects. In short, a school where it's safe to be yourself.

Happy to be called a helicopter parent, obsessive or whatever you like for that any day.
+1
Exactly, schlumpf
Prit25

Post by Prit25 »

+1
2tinkers

Post by 2tinkers »

My DS sat 2 mock exams...6 weeks apart.
Didn't too particularly well in number 1 marginally better in 2.
Sat exams for Sutton schools..passed all 3 and is now at one of them.
Tuition: around and hour a week in year 4 which consisted of books we had and worksheets online, English tutor an hour a week from end of year 4 to July year 5. He did around 3 hours of work per week from Jan year 5 to the exams with past papers over summer. One weekend extra curricular activity and that's because he didn't want to do anything else.
Reason for choosing a grammar school: He loved his first choice from the moment he walked in and felt that was the best environment for HIM to learn, grow and be supported best.
How did he know this at 9 years of age? He just did!!
Was he pushed into this decision? No way but encouraged when he decided this what what he wanted. He knew there would be extra work involved because I knew what the competition were doing.
In hindsight did we need to do that much? Well I can't answer that but the fact that he is in his first choice school knowing full well what the alternative options were...its a no brainer. He hardly complained and thanks me for helping him reach his goal. He loves where he is and I ditto what a previous poster said in that he is free to be who he is and will hopefully never feel ashamed or embarrassed of his interests ( loves English and very keen on science). Our DD goes to one of the alternative schools because that was best for her. we treat our children as the individuals they are and whatever age they are; look at the children/ parents who decide that at the age of 4/5 the child will be the next big thing in football and sign them up for countless hours of practice, training and matches per week for years. Do they all reach the end goal?? Most likely not but they do it nevertheless. Whose dream was that then? Did the 4/5 year old ask for it? I very much doubt it.
So to surmise...i think if an intelligent, self assured 9 year old expresses an interest in education and a path they might want to follow in life, as parents it is our job to help them.
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

ale21279 wrote:
schlumpf wrote:Unfortunately, for some of us, the local alternatives are not at all appealing - drug dealing gangs, police outside the shool gates every single day, bad teaching (if low value added scores can be equated with bad teaching), etc. The experiences of some local comps can make ferrying your children around multiple mock exams look extremely appealing :lol:

+1
Exactly, schlumpf
Completely agree. Being in a locality where the only good school takes students from within 2 miles and other schools in Ofsted "Requires Improvement" category, the above resonates with us. Going by official data, the closest school has a negative progress 8 score (same as bad teaching), I am proud to be a helicopter parent as my child was ready for going through the journey of eleven plus and was not getting negatively impacted by it.
blaised

Post by blaised »

DS is a bright boy, his school have always said so, but ....
We sent him to **** tutor name removed - we do not allow tutor recommendations on the open forum and there were plenty others from his school there.
So 2 hours a week, tons of homework (for him and me :-), and a number of mocks included (I forget how many).
And it is expensive, but sadly it would be a disadvantage not to.

He sat for three exams Bucks, Berks and QE.
He did well enough for QE I think, we'll see in March.
His Slough score was really good as was his Bucks score.

Why put him through all this at the tender age?
I look at the non-selective schools around me and shudder.
If distance to school is the only criteria, then unlikely DS would get a place in a good school.
Surely the school your child goes to does matter, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing this or even have such a forum!
IMHO we provide the best opportunity we can for our DC, the rest is up to them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

blaised wrote:He sat for three exams Bucks, Berks and QE.
His Slough score was really good as was his Bucks score.

If distance to school is the only criteria, then unlikely DS would get a place in a good school.
Ah, but you see, for Bucks, once a qualifying score of 121 or more is achieved, the only criteria is distance to school.

Did you check whether you live close enough to a Bucks school before you put your son through the test? If not, by achieving a qualifying score and not taking a place, he has displaced a local child who will not now receive a place.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

blaised wrote:He sat for three exams Bucks, Berks and QE
How many of these tests that your DS sat are likely to result in a school place?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now