Views on Latymer and comparison vs St Michael

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Views on Latymer and comparison vs St Michael

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't know Greycoat at all but I do know that those with expertise in Music tend to do the rounds of the music options in North London and so some of those with a high Music rank at Camden this year will also have applied to DAO, Latymer, Ashmole etc.

As they can only actually take one place some of these places will be given up.

Camden should be able to tell you how far the music ranks have gone in the last few years.

If you did put Camden first and St Ms second then you should not need to move.

If enough people rank other schools higher than Camden then you will get Camden on allocation day on 1st March.

if you are not high enough on the waiting list for that to happen on 1st March you will get St Ms if your rank was high enough and you will remain on the waiting list for Camden and they will contact you if a place comes up.

Either way you do not need to move.

Latymer was the only reason to have to move. If you have ranked St Ms higher than Latymer then you will be removed from the Latymer list as you have told your council in your CAF form that you prefer St Ms. DG
Lunamum

Post by Lunamum »

Hi DG

Thanks for answering. I put Latymer first and looking at options to move. If we cannot do that in time then what you say will happen as we won’t get Latymer. I hope that is how it works anyway.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As you put Latymer first and you have the top letter 1 to 192 I assume, then you will be removed from the list for Camden, Greycoat and St Ms and you will get Latymer if you move. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think you are asking what will happen if you don't move in time to get Latymer (January)?

In that case you will get the next school down on your CAF for which you fit the admission criteria. So whichever one you put second, unless there is some reason why you don't meet the criteria, in which case, the next one down and so on.

I bet you wish you'd stayed in Spain! It sounds so much simpler. :D
Lunamum

Post by Lunamum »

Right!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am very impressed that you have done so well and sought out so many options for your family. A lot of British parents miss out on all these non fee paying opportunities. DG
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Lunamum wrote:
... I put Latymer first and looking at options to move. If we cannot do that in time then what you say will happen as we won’t get Latymer. I hope that is how it works anyway.
Hi Lunamum!

Firstly, many congratulations to your child for their wonderful achievements in earning these school entrance exam results!

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but have you spoken to Latymer School informally to explain your circumstances? I would try this nearer the time - they just might be sympathetic. (You might need to be discreet about it on this Forum, as well!)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Jean.Brodie wrote: I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but have you spoken to Latymer School informally to explain your circumstances? I would try this nearer the time - they just might be sympathetic. (You might need to be discreet about it on this Forum, as well!)
:shock: :shock: Latymer is a state school, right? Are you suggesting that they would bend their own legally-binding published admissions rules on the basis of an informal chat? While I am totally sympathetic to Lunamum's circumstances, surely this wouldn't be allowed - the floodgates would be open to all manner of abuse.

A very risky strategy I would say, personally.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:
Jean.Brodie wrote: I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but have you spoken to Latymer School informally to explain your circumstances? I would try this nearer the time - they just might be sympathetic. (You might need to be discreet about it on this Forum, as well!)
:shock: :shock: Latymer is a state school, right? Are you suggesting that they would bend their own legally-binding published admissions rules on the basis of an informal chat? While I am totally sympathetic to Lunamum's circumstances, surely this wouldn't be allowed - the floodgates would be open to all manner of abuse.

A very risky strategy I would say, personally.
Amber, may I direct you to the threads from last year, regarding Latymer's published admissions policy and their attempt to circumvent even the gobb..., sorry, rather hard to reconcile with what was chronologically possible that they had written to carry on disregarding the Admissions Code? And the year before, when they found themselves with what you may recognise as a Crypt Situation, 2017 style, vis à vis the number of IC candidates they decided to 'qualify'...? :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Latymer is a state school.

All state schools have to operate within the admissions code.

All admissions criteria have to be published on the website after a six week public consultation period.

Latymer have published a date in January on their admissions criieria that all non catchment applicants have to move into the catchment area by.

This will be the date for everyone and no amount of quiet chats with Latymer can change that.

Imagine the appeals that would be triggered if Latymer did that?

How could they judge which family was more deserving than another?

The code is there for a reason. To protect families from other families who think the system only applies to others. The same type of person who parks in resident and disabled parking.

I am sure the OP has no intention of attempting to do this as they have already attempted to move within the time frames. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now