Views on Latymer and comparison vs St Michael

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lunamum

Re: Views on Latymer and comparison vs St Michael

Post by Lunamum »

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your kind and quick replies.

My daughter did not get a music place at Latymer, as she has more aptitude than ability per se. She loves singing and music in general, sings in a choir but is only Grade 3 piano.

In fact, she got on the music waitlist at Camden girls and also got a Language place at Greycoat hospital.

I also wanted to ask for views on comprehensive vs grammar as I don’t have a good grasp on the difference.

We liked the ethos and feel at Camden where girls are encouraged to make decisions and be more creative. Would we be crazy to put say Camden before st Michael on our CAF?

What are your views of those two comprehensive vs the grammars and also on what being top of comprehensive vs middle of the pack at grammar can do for motivation, stretching abilities to full potential and self confidence?

Welcome your valuable views and advice.

Thank you!
mad?

Post by mad? »

You would be fine with any of those schools, most parents I know would chew their arms off for the choices you appear to have. Think about which school you liked the most, which area you like the most and which keeps your options for younger DC the most flexible. Good luck.
mad?
Prit25

Post by Prit25 »

Hi, we live in Muswell Hill and my son commutes to Latymer taking the 102. We are very close to the bus stop but, for example, today he left at 7.40 and arrived in school at 8.20 (he sends a text when he arrives so fairly accurate) and the most its taken has been 45 miss but very rarely. He loves the journey as there are at least 5 to 10 Latymer students on the bus most days.
He is now in yr 8 and we couldn't be happier with the school. They are nurturing, responsive and the music opportunities are amazing! He started the bassoon and has passed his grade 1 and going straight for grade 3.
Hope that's helpful.
Lunamum

Post by Lunamum »

Thank you, mad.

Yes you are right we really are blessed with the options which I never thought we would have. We will do as you say. It is hard without knowing anyone at any school, as I think open days are a bit artificial. But I do believe in gut feel so hopefully that will help us. Thanks!
Lunamum

Post by Lunamum »

Thank you Prit25. Really helpful!
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

ToadMum wrote: Presumably you mean, the school had a different PAN in the year that the current year 11 entered year 7? Schopls fall over themselves not to admit students into year 11 itself and 'managing out' students who are likely not to show a schopl in the light it desires part way through their GCSE course is, quite rightly, getting schools a lot of flak these days.
Actually no.. I expressed it very badly but what I wanted to say was that the PAN is 96 until GSCEs/end of year 11. I believe they take another 50 (??) at 6th Form but am not entirely sure of the number so didn't want to say.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Lunamum wrote: We liked the ethos and feel at Camden where girls are encouraged to make decisions and be more creative. Would we be crazy to put say Camden before st Michael on our CAF?

What are your views of those two comprehensive vs the grammars and also on what being top of comprehensive vs middle of the pack at grammar can do for motivation, stretching abilities to full potential and self confidence?
Go with your heart and what felt "right" for you and your family! There is no right or wrong, they're all great schools.
Many comps do just as fantastic job as the grammars and I know Camden has a good rep locally.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

A shame you didn't mention Camden earlier.

How far down the music waiting list are you?

Camden is a great school and the Head of Music is excellent.

A lot of local families send their girls there and move their boys there for sixth form.

You would not actually need to move if your dd was able to get a place there. Bus, tube and overground train connections are excellent.

But right now you only have three hours left to put in your CAF form so you really have run out of time.

If there was the option to put Camden first and so be able to stay in your current home I would take it. DG
Lunamum

Post by Lunamum »

We are 10th on waitlist for aptitude - 3 slots. So unlikely I think but they don’t say.
Our thoughts are Latymer first and Camden second and st Michael’s third and then decide on the move for Jan.

Do you have a view on how much the aptitude list moves? She is further down in the ability one. They said it moves ‘a lot’ but nothing more.

Would you consider Camden before Latymer? We won’t know of course.

Thanks for help with last minute panic - I always thought I am a thoughtful person but obviously failing and panicking last minute!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It was really unfortunate for you that your house fell through at the last minute.

You could not have predicted this would happened and it is not within your control.

As you are really happy with your current property and have expressed concerns about the travel to Latymer, Camden would seem to work a lot better for you. The transport links are brilliant. I have spent a lot of time at Camden and never had to wait more than a few minutes for a bus including late at night after events at the school.

If you put Camden first and St Ms second you would have another 11 months to move before starting school at St Ms or if you got Camden you would not have to move at all.

You would get St M's on allocation day 1st March and then could stay on waiting list for Camden and stay in your current property.

Latymer will require to move by January so if you put Latymer first you will have to move by January. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now