DAO Sixth Form Entry

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Middlesexmum

Re: DAO Sixth Form Entry

Post by Middlesexmum »

Just a quick question about DAO - Class Civ A Level isn't mentioned in the option blocks. Have they ever offered it? Are the option blocks set in stone? Could be a deal-breaker for dd.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not taught at DAO.

What A levels is she looking at? DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Ideally Class Civ, RS and Sociology. If she does a fourth then either English, History or Politics.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Middlesexmum wrote:Ideally Class Civ, RS and Sociology. If she does a fourth then either English, History or Politics.
WGGS does all these, as I expect you have already established. But it's worth checking whether that particular - unusual - combination is possible. The school may not be able to offer a guarantee until quite late in the day, possibly Autumn in Year 12, when its Year 12 entrants (internal and external) and their subject choices are finalised.

If your daughter enjoys the other 3 subjects, especially English and History, I would suggest doing both of these plus two of her first three choices. Looking beyond Year 13, Class Civ, RS and Sociology may not be considered 'hard' enough by some university faculties, placing her at a competitive disadvantage. This may narrow down her choice of degree courses and universities.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not if she doesn't want to go those universities...
Hera

Post by Hera »

RS, Sociology and Classics are all popular courses at WGGS. For the last two years they have had between 20 and 30 girls taking each of the subjects mentioned. I don't think that it is a particularly unusual combination of subjects and the RS and Classics departments are both strong. I don't know much about Sociology other than boys from WGSB can also take it at the girls school.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Hera wrote:RS, Sociology and Classics are all popular courses at WGGS. For the last two years they have had between 20 and 30 girls taking each of the subjects mentioned. I don't think that it is a particularly unusual combination of subjects and the RS and Classics departments are both strong. I don't know much about Sociology other than boys from WGSB can also take it at the girls school.
Hera, we went to the WGGS Sixth Form open evening last week, dd loved it and really liked all the subject teachers she talked to. I think there is every possibility she will end up there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now