Life at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jean.Brodie

Re: Life at HBS

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi again Barnetmamma!

Forgot to mention the most important thing!

Our feelings about each school evolved significantly between September and March, our feelings about NLCS and other private schools, about Latymer and about HBS. You may well find that, too.

It's November now and it's very different in March if your daughter has earned a genuine and significant choice.

You've clearly asked all the right questions. But only your child and your family can know what the right answers will be for her, when you are ready to make your decision in March. In the meantime, I would re-focus and have a really good go at the private school entrance exams.

Good luck!
Walthams

Post by Walthams »

Wow! Are they allowed to study 4 languages??? For how many years and which languages? This sounds amazing! I have only heard of two languages at other grammars, so this sounds cerainly unusual ana a wonderful opportunity!
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Not allowed, Walthams. It's obligatory. French, German and Latin in year 7 and they add Spanish in year 8. They then study all four til the end of year 9. One language is compulsory at gcse and the limit, I think, is 2.
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

Thank you for your posts Middlesexmum, Stokers and Jean.Brodie, and thank you to mad? for signposting me to Barnetdad's past posts . I've been diligently reading and all your posts have been really helpful.
Middlesexmum wrote: Other activities - the school competes in a Junior and Senior Mock Trial which is a fantastic experience. .
I'm lost for what a "mock trial" is? Can you enlighten me? :oops:
Jean.Brodie wrote:Hi again Barnetmamma!
Our feelings about each school evolved significantly between September and March, our feelings about NLCS and other private schools, about Latymer and about HBS. You may well find that, too.

It's November now and it's very different in March if your daughter has earned a genuine and significant choice.

You've clearly asked all the right questions. But only your child and your family can know what the right answers will be for her, when you are ready to make your decision in March. In the meantime, I would re-focus and have a really good go at the private school entrance exams.

Good luck!
Thank you Jean.Brodie. This gave me a kick up the backside. We've been slacking since the round 2 exams and need to regain some focus again, without which this whole thread would be us getting ahead of ourselves. Whatever the outcome, whether or not we have a choice ultimately, we are so lucky to know that DD2 is going to a great school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

this is about mock trials :

https://smartlaw.org.uk/mock-trials/mag ... -teachers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

hermanmunster wrote:this is about mock trials :

https://smartlaw.org.uk/mock-trials/mag ... -teachers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds like a great experience! DD's latest idea of what she wants to be when she "grows up" is a lawyer. This will be of interest to her. Nevertheless, her past choices have included being a cleaner, opening a zoo, a teacher, a doctor and now the latest, a lawyer! I'm not counting on her latest career option sticking, but the mock trials sound great for general life skills and experience. :)

Thanks for the heads up hermanmunster :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I know of kids locally who did it and enjoyed it very much - one particularly relished being the judge!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I went to a mock trial with my two a few years ago off our own bat, and it was one of the most interesting things we have ever done.

I want to add from experience that music is very good, whether already an instrumentalist or singer, classical, chamber, jazz, or rock, or taking up a new instrument, and whether they want to pursue GCSE or A level, or not - as my dd who mainly prefers playing in groups and doing sport outside of school, but has been very well supported in school with the very supportive PE teachers, fantastic peripatetic music teachers, and help with music grade exams. Also there is a really good music competition every year held in a care home, that she really likes doing, and other opportunities to help the community.

Sometimes my dd, who is not very forward, has felt she can’t join in or start some activities she would like to try, as they are already full of people who have done i.e. drama, certain sports, robotics either before they started or from the start of year 7. The feeling was that they are in it to win it, not so much to bring on newbies who missed the boat on week one of year 7. In her case, she is way too busy to take on any more anyway, (and I suspect that she was being a bit of a wet lettuce and blaming them when it is her own self-conciousness (quite severe and got worse as she got older-pretty common in girls this age!)) but this is just to provide a perspective when looking at fit for your individual child. It’s not at all full of pushy kids, but shy ones may miss out, as always in this world.
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

Further to the last post, as some of you will have gathered, DD was eventually offered a place at the school. We were offered our second choice initially and so went ahead with our Habs offer. We are back to square one having to decide again.

DD and we really liked the school (despite it's admin) but wondered how DD would do at the school in terms of personality. She is a "self-starter", organised and driven. However, she doesn't like getting things wrong which will mean she will be reluctant to show her work unless she is sure it is good. I can imagine, she wouldn't speak up in a classroom to give answers in case her opinion/answer might not be right. Maths, is not an issue but I guess that's because she has the certainty of a black and white answer. I'm not sure whether HBS would nurture her and turn her into a confident speaker. She tends to be shy and SilverySea's post has me wondering.

Any input about how shy, quieter girls thrive at HBS would be most welcome.
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

Further to the last post, as some of you will have gathered, DD was eventually offered a place at the school. We were offered our second choice initially and so went ahead with our Habs offer. We are back to square one having to decide again.

DD and we really liked the school (despite it's admin) but wondered how DD would do at the school in terms of personality. She is a "self-starter", organised and driven. However, she doesn't like getting things wrong which will mean she will be reluctant to show her work unless she is sure it is good. I can imagine, she wouldn't speak up in a classroom to give answers in case her opinion/answer might not be right. Maths, is not an issue but I guess that's because she has the certainty of a black and white answer. I'm not sure whether HBS would nurture her and turn her into a confident speaker. She tends to be shy and SilverySea's post has me wondering.

Any input about how shy, quieter girls thrive at HBS would be most welcome.