11+ Mock Exam Benefits and Disadvantages

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lenazayka75

11+ Mock Exam Benefits and Disadvantages

Post by Lenazayka75 »

Hello Dear Parents,

This is my first time when I write a message with questions. So, I do apologizes for any mistakes beforehand :)

Our DS is preparing for 11+ entrance exams in 2019. I have looked with him carefully at the each school around us and shortlisted six; three state grammars and three private:

Queen Elizabeth's Grammar Boys (Barnet, Herts) - English & Math GL,
King Edward VI Grammar School ( Chelmsford, Essex) CSSE - more like CEM exam,
Colchester Royar Grammar Schoil ( Colchester, Esses) CSSE

Bishop's Stortford College ( Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire) English & Math GL,
Bancroft's School ( Woodford Green, London) English & Math GL
Haileybury Imperial College (Hertford, Herts) English & Math, VR & NVR ( on computer)

Currently, we live on the boarder of Hertfordshire, Essex and London. We think to move closer to school if DS get a place. Unfortunately, The Latymer & DAO is not his preferences at all. He also selected three part-selective schools: Hockerill Anglo European College, Goffs Academy and Broxbourne school.

The boy is bright minded clever person, reads a lot books; good in Math and English; great swimmer and study art; he is bilingual and learn French as the third language. Nevertheless, DS is an emotional child ( even though he is optimistic) , sometimes hyperactive and can be easily distracted. I do tutoring at home ( CGP & Bond), and only on Friday we go to a tutor for an advice about unclear moments. DC is confident in a small team but it is difficult to predict how he will feel himself on the exams among of hundreds.

I heard that possible to book a mock exam. What do you think? Is it worth it?
Do I need a book two different tests (GL & CEM) or any one of them will be enough?

Also, I would be interested in any other opinion and recommendations, relevant experience and maybe extra clever hits :

Thank you :D
Amber

Re: 11+ Mock Exam Benefits and Disadvantages

Post by Amber »

Lenazayka75 wrote:Unfortunately, The Latymer & DAO is not his preferences at all. He also selected three part-selective schools: Hockerill Anglo European College, Goffs Academy and Broxbourne school.
I think your son must be 8 or 9 years old now? Are you confident that he is mature enough to select the schools he will consider attending for his secondary career? Do you not have any power to override his wishes, as I sense by the use of the word 'unfortunately' that you rather like those two schools?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

More of a thought wrt DAO, are you now in catchment, or do you intend to move lock, stock and barrel into catchment, by the relevant date before the exam (if thst hasn't already passed).

Which non-selective school(s) would you realistically be offered from your current address, should your DS not be as successful in his exams as you hope? You also need to consider those - look properly at their published admissions criteria, don't just go on, 'it's our nearest school, we must get a place there', as it really doesn't work like that :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Lenazayka75

Post by Lenazayka75 »

The boys is 10 years old; attends year 5.

I know, it looks strange when parents allow child to choose the school. However, we have a boy who is on one hand is a child but in a minute can become a mature person.

We have looked very carefully at the schools around us, their admission criteria, spoke with teachers & students, checked reports and exam results. We started at the end of year 4. Then, we did a shortlist.

DS was not impressed in Latymer ( did not like teachers’ approach) DAO - problem to relocate now. Broxbourne and Goffs are part-selective and in our catchment area, very close to us.

We are not dreaming parents in the sky; and this is why the secondary education at the right place is important to us.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Lenazayka75 wrote:DS was not impressed in Latymer ( did not like teachers’ approach)
I was interested to head that your DS was not impressed. What in particular put him off?

(We were weren't particularly impressed by the head teacher's speech - although it is the only selective school we will prep for)
copella

Post by copella »

I am also interested in why your DS did not like the teachers approach. Seeing as he could only see them at an open day how did he come to this conclusion. What was your view? I can get not liking the head teachers speech but am a bit confounded 're not liking teachers approaches when your DS doesn't attend the school. Also he seems to have a lot of power. He is still 10 and although mature emotionally he is a child and needs you to perhaps take the lead.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

In answer to your original question, OP, it is definitely worth doing some mock exams in Y5. It can be daunting for the kids as it's their first experience of a "real" exam, but definitely worthwhile. Advantages are to see where he is in relation to the other kids. Disadvantages: you might find out there's a lot of work still to do, but at least then you have some time to focus on the weaker areas.

NB Goffs Academy is only partially selective with language aptitude test which you cannot practise for, they have several feeder primary schools, does he go to one of them, so would this be your back up plan?

I'm not familiar with the Essex or private schools so can't comment on them
Amber

Post by Amber »

copella wrote:Also he seems to have a lot of power. He is still 10 and although mature emotionally he is a child and needs you to perhaps take the lead.
+1
Beware of making your own life very difficult for the next 7 years on the whim of a 10 year old, no matter how mature you perceive him to be. Many people would not invest so much power in the hands of one so young - sometimes you have to be the parent. I suggest strongly that you pick a school based on what you, the parent, perceive to be the best.
Lenazayka75

Post by Lenazayka75 »

ale21279 wrote:In answer to your original question, OP, it is definitely worth doing some mock exams in Y5. It can be daunting for the kids as it's their first experience of a "real" exam, but definitely worthwhile. Advantages are to see where he is in relation to the other kids. Disadvantages: you might find out there's a lot of work still to do, but at least then you have some time to focus on the weaker areas.

NB Goffs Academy is only partially selective with language aptitude test which you cannot practise for, they have several feeder primary schools, does he go to one of them, so would this be your back up plan?

I'm not familiar with the Essex or private schools so can't comment on them
Thank you very much for the clear answer.

It is important to us to see how he will feel himself among of unknown people.

About Goffs: We know that the school has the own language attitude test. Around 400 application were applied for the test in September 2018, much less than to Broxbourne. How did you guess that we are at the on of feeder primary schools? :D
Lenazayka75

Post by Lenazayka75 »

copella wrote:I am also interested in why your DS did not like the teachers approach. Seeing as he could only see them at an open day how did he come to this conclusion. What was your view? I can get not liking the head teachers speech but am a bit confounded 're not liking teachers approaches when your DS doesn't attend the school. Also he seems to have a lot of power. He is still 10 and although mature emotionally he is a child and needs you to perhaps take the lead.
We knew what the Head Teacher will say. She said the same speech in 2017. We have a couple of friends whose children attend The Latymer and discussed our view opinion with professionals as well.

What DS did not like in Latymer:
- Teachers stayed quietly ( except drama), someone by the table and other by the class entrance door,
- They were not interested "to sell the product",
- DT was open partially,
- History and Languages looked like a number of papers on the table,
- PE? Nothing to say at all
- Art Class confused with a technique of painting. Where the works of young artists?

What I did not like:
Teachers must to be talkative, they must involve children into cooperation, discussion, persuade them to show their capabilities. Thereby, demonstrate how children are important to them. When we went to Bancroft's school (roughly the same exam results) and QE, we saw a different approach. DC felt like wanted pupil there.

Regarding the choice of school: As a mother, do I have to send a child where I want? Or take into account DC opinion and then decide? In my opinion, all depends of joint decision because we are the family. Everyone deserves to be heard. If someone disagreed, the strong arguments should be produced. For example: KEGS and Broxbourne is mine choice; but Goffs, QE and Bishopstortford's College were chosen by DS.