11+ Mock Exam Benefits and Disadvantages

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lenazayka75

Re: 11+ Mock Exam Benefits and Disadvantages

Post by Lenazayka75 »

KingstonMama wrote:It's true that small things can sway all 10 year olds! Mine preferred a school based on its motto!!

Re. mocks - we found them useful. We did 2. It helped get the feel of an exam hall, saying goodbye to use at the door of somewhere unfamiliar and queues and queues of nervous kids. Experience of multiple choice booklets is useful too but she'd tried some at home (just as well as first time she tried to draw her own box for a new answer when hers wasn't on the sheet, because it was wrong!).
Thank you KingstonMama!Much appreciated :D
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Tinkers wrote: It seemed to do the job, but mocks were less common 6 years ago.
Was it just the mocks that were uncommon back then or was the attitude of some parents as it is today, -

Code: Select all

My DC has to get into a Selective/Grammar school else their lives/future is ruined 
was uncommon as well?

Just a curious question as 6 odd years ago is when my DD started her primary school journey and wasn't exactly following these discussions back then!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

squareofthewicket wrote:
Tinkers wrote: It seemed to do the job, but mocks were less common 6 years ago.
Was it just the mocks that were uncommon back then or was the attitude of some parents as it is today, -

Code: Select all

My DC has to get into a Selective/Grammar school else their lives/future is ruined 
was uncommon as well?

Just a curious question as 6 odd years ago is when my DD started her primary school journey and wasn't exactly following these discussions back then!!

Both I think. I certainly see more advertised locally. More people are asking about them on the forum.

(I think the ‘GS or bust attitude is getting more common too’)
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

DS1 wanted to go to the Grammar School that his cousin went to and put it first on the CAF; we wanted to put Latymer first. Agree, the headteacher's speech wasn't great and the open day was a bit chaotic but the feel of the school and the relaxed children was evident. Much discussion was had between us all and we looked at both websites again but ultimately we explained why it would be better for him at Latymer and DS1 knew we would do what is best for him. There were other factors to take into account; DS2 taking exams this year, both Parents work and logistical issues with DC having local friends at secondary school that they can see easily get to. The ultimate decision was the Parents as we see the bigger picture, it was important to ensure that DS1 felt his opinions were taken into account.

DS1 took a number of Mocks which were really helpful. He got used to sitting an exam in a big hall. Going in alone and finding his seat. By the real exams he knew what to expect which put him at ease. The exams helped me work out what areas he needed extra work on, so we could streamline the work towards the end.

I did not realise how invested I was in the process and how much emotion and energy had gone on the preparation. Only after the results came out did I take a step back and think about what would have happened if he had not done well (as some of his friends had). I was really upset when he got the QE result of 217 as it was not high enough, but ultimately I didn't want him going there, so why was I so upset? It is easy to get wrapped up in the process and think GS is the be all and end all. It is not, I went to a local comprehensive, did ok at Uni and now manage a massive team filled with people who went to GS and have Phds. Ultimately, a good work ethos, never giving up and always thinking out of the box pays off. This is what I have taught my DC and what I said to DS1 and now DS2 whilst we were prepping. Your success is not dictated by the school you go to (it definitely helps and gives you more options), you are in control of your destiny and if you pass or fail, you will succeed wherever you go. My only desire was to give my DC the opportunities of a wider breath of knowledge that GS can provide, enabling them to make a more informed choice of the career path in their future. Mocks are there because there is a growing need. Everyone has their own desires for getting their DC into a GS.

Sorry for my rambles, hope it helps!

StowMum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now