Thank You.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HRU

Thank You.

Post by HRU »

Hi All,

This is a rambling thank you to all those involved with maintaining and keeping this website going and of course the members who contribute so much with the debates and advise. The forum members are too many to name individually and come from both side of the 11+ fence. I have benefited from both sides of the argument and in return so have my children as I took on some of those advice.

Our 11+ journey of over 8 years has just concluded this year with our third child.

Our first child is in year 13 at Latymer and will be leaving soon (7 Years flying by) and has done very well in a fantastic school.

Our second child, in year 11 now, did not get into a grammar school (did not get through first round of LAT, DAO or HBS) and went to a local Islington comprehensive and has done even better than DS attending Latymer! She already has A*s and Level 9s awards from year 9 and 10 GCSE.

Our third child just achieved the scores below for the schools (I know some are interested in scores, we will be giving up the DAO and LAT options):

DAO
- Verbal Reasoning - 122
- English - 126
- Mathematics - 117 (Maths being his favourite and best subject DS says it was a very hard paper)
- Total Marks - 365
- Ranked Position - 22

LAT
- In the top 192

QEB
- English - 121
- Mathematics - 125
- Total - 246

Main reason to choosing QEB is that elder brother will no longer be at Latymer, to get different experience and as we will be moving house next year.

We did DIY for all three DC but due to my own English writing weakness we did get a few lessons for each in this regard.

Children should do well in any school as long as they have the correct attitude, application, environment and support from those around them.

We never felt the need to post before as all the question we had already been answered and were to be found on this site. Also felt could not contribute anything new.

All the best to those who have been on, are on or will be embarking on the 11+ journey. Just remember to put the well being of the DC first.

Thanks.
HRU.
exam2019

Re: Thank You.

Post by exam2019 »

Well done to your DC and you for your work to help them!
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

What a nice message.

And also, how instructive that your child did just as well nay better at a non-selective school especially in Islington where I hear people say all sorts of things about the local schools when in the main they perform really well. I know someone else whose children got identical GSCEs in Latymer and in an Islington non-selective. It also goes to show that how a child performs at 11 isn't really indicative of how bright or how they'll attain in the long run.
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

HRU wrote:Hi All,

This is a rambling thank you to all those involved with maintaining and keeping this website going and of course the members who contribute so much with the debates and advise. The forum members are too many to name individually and come from both side of the 11+ fence. I have benefited from both sides of the argument and in return so have my children as I took on some of those advice.

Our 11+ journey of over 8 years has just concluded this year with our third child.

Our first child is in year 13 at Latymer and will be leaving soon (7 Years flying by) and has done very well in a fantastic school.

Our second child, in year 11 now, did not get into a grammar school (did not get through first round of LAT, DAO or HBS) and went to a local Islington comprehensive and has done even better than DS attending Latymer! She already has A*s and Level 9s awards from year 9 and 10 GCSE.

Our third child just achieved the scores below for the schools (I know some are interested in scores, we will be giving up the DAO and LAT options):

DAO
- Verbal Reasoning - 122
- English - 126
- Mathematics - 117 (Maths being his favourite and best subject DS says it was a very hard paper)
- Total Marks - 365
- Ranked Position - 22

LAT
- In the top 192

QEB
- English - 121
- Mathematics - 125
- Total - 246

Main reason to choosing QEB is that elder brother will no longer be at Latymer, to get different experience and as we will be moving house next year.

We did DIY for all three DC but due to my own English writing weakness we did get a few lessons for each in this regard.

Children should do well in any school as long as they have the correct attitude, application, environment and support from those around them.

We never felt the need to post before as all the question we had already been answered and were to be found on this site. Also felt could not contribute anything new.

All the best to those who have been on, are on or will be embarking on the 11+ journey. Just remember to put the well being of the DC first.

Thanks.
HRU.

Must compliment on such a lovely message!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

HRU wrote:Our second child, in year 11 now, did not get into a grammar school (did not get through first round of LAT, DAO or HBS) and went to a local Islington comprehensive and has done even better than DS attending Latymer! She already has A*s and Level 9s awards from year 9 and 10 GCSE.
HRU wrote:Children should do well in any school as long as they have the correct attitude, application, environment and support from those around them.
Great takeaway from this post and well done to your children HRU. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

HRU, do hang around on the forum, it sounds to me as though you could provide valuable help & support for parents here.
And thank you for the lovely message.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now