Creative Writing - Post 11+

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anonymparent

Creative Writing - Post 11+

Post by anonymparent »

A question for all the experienced parents, special mention Daogroupie, Guest55, Amber, anotherdad, ToadMum, Jean.Brodie, piggys, kenyancowgirl, scary mum and apologies to other regular contributors (I might not have come across your posts so far)

I have been thinking of raising this query for some time, but I was a bit apprehensive of all the bashings I might get.
I promise, I will take those with a positive note. so feel free to bash me if I am doing something wrong.

DS has cleared most of the 11+ examinations he appeared and we have now put QE as our first choice.
(He had to - not clear, but appear, as we are actually applying for out of catchment seats for all cases, and I was not very sure of his performance when we were applying. If I would have had a bit of realistic expectation from him, we would have applied for far less number of tests. On a hindsight, now I feel that I had underestimated him. The local comprehensives are in "Requires improvement" category)
Going by the analysis of results on the QE result thread by DG, he is going to get a place on Mar 1st.
Before anyone complains about travel, we would move closer to the school after allocation and we are not uprooting him from his local community or friends as we moved to this locality only last year and to UK 3 years back.

So what question am I raising?
Even if he has cleared all exams, and a few of those with flying colours, I still feel that his creative writing is not up to the mark.
And I am still saying this even if he has cleared some of the tests with creative writing.
The reason behind this might be his lack of KS1 education in UK and English not being the first language at home.
While we can still teach him SPAG, we are not able to give him any guidance on the creative side.

The question is, should we avail any expert coaching for creative writing this year, so that he would be ready for secondary school? We did not send him to any specific English/creative writing course for his 11+ preparation, though he was going to a coaching centre covering all subjects.
Or we assume that because he has been able to clear selective tests with creative writing in it, he is fine and would learn any new things in his secondary school?
Or asking him to read any specific genre would help? He does like reading, but mostly David Walliam books or Harry Potter type of books.
I do understand that not all kids would need to excel in all subjects, but I don’t want him to do too bad either.

Posting it in the Hertfordshire (Other and North London) region as most likely my son would be joining QE. But moderators may move it to other relevant section if necessary

Any suggestion would be appreciated including the one to tell me I am overreacting and stretching the young one too much.

Anonymparent
anotherdad

Re: Creative Writing - Post 11+

Post by anotherdad »

anonymparent wrote:I still feel that his creative writing is not up to the mark.
Cutting away everything else you've written, this seems to be the crux of it.

Why do you think that and what makes you qualified to judge?
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

You are correct that I might not be qualified to judge.
It is purely based on when I read whatever he writes.
It sometimes misses the structure and other times I see that there is a lack of idea.
Again all is based on my judgement. I don't know the level of expectation in secondary school. In his primary school, I see that he struggles to complete the number of pages that he is asked to write.

Do you think getting his work judged by some experts would help?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

This is beyond my area of expertise, I'm not a teacher and even the qualified teachers on here won't be able to judge his creative writing remotely based on your judgements. Your son's teacher presumably is a teacher (and an expert) so I suggest s/he is your first port of call with any concerns.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Given that he has done well in the exams I would not worry about it, as it is clearly not a significant issue. DD1 was in this situation and whilst creative writing never became a love of hers she flourished at secondary where she was well taught and indeed one year won an essay prize. Time is on his side and I'm sure he will develop well in a good school.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I wouldn’t worry too much. DDs creative writing wasn’t great in year 6, but once at secondary she really went from strength to strength. This was reflected in her gcse results for English this summer.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am a writer (of sorts) now, but still can't do anything I would call creative writing. Wouldn't know where to start. I can't draw or paint either. None of my academically very successful children has ever produced anything which is memorable for the right reasons in the creative writing department either. Why does this particular aspect of schooling worry you particularly? You will probably find that other kinds of writing appear more on the curriculum at secondary school - discursive or persuasive for example. I have never quite got the fixation with being able to write creative fictional narrative which seems to preoccupy some who opine about what children ought to learn at school. I suggest you don't stress about it, to be honest. By GCSE his teachers will ensure he knows what he needs to for his English exam.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would not worry too much but maybe encourage him to read a range of genres (if he is anything like my boys at that age they tend to stick with one author or one style) - even watching a variety of films might help with his visual descriptions of things.

I am sure the teachers in secondary will help advise if there appears to be anything lacking when he eventually gets there.

Good luck!
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

I’ve been wondering about this but we are a year behind you. My DS is in Y5 and I’m not sure whether to commit to prepping for 11+ because of how he might struggle with writing if he gets a place. He has trouble with writing generally and might have problems with note taking as well as essay writing. We have EP and OT reports explaining the problem and what support he needs but his primary school isn’t putting this in place as they seem to think he’s “too able to qualify for help”. I’m coming to the idea that we shall just have to wait and see. We can always change schools if it doesn’t work out. He may also not gain a place. However I think it’s sensible for you to think ahead. Up to now I’ve possibly been thinking of the 11+ a bit like having a baby.... fixated on one day and forgetting to consider the years which follow! Best of luck
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestion.
I will stop worrying and just ensure that he is still reading a variety of books.

Best of luck exam2019 for the preparation.