Latymer 2019 Entry travel arrangements/ views on the school

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amy

Latymer 2019 Entry travel arrangements/ views on the school

Post by Amy »

Hi

I was hoping some of you can give me some advice. My DD is ranked high enough to get an offer for Latymer on 1 March 2019 for September 2019 entry. We love the school but are concerned about the area so are thinking of arranging for a taxi/female driver to take her to school and back. We live in Finchley and wondering if anyone is thinking of doing the same thing? My DD won't travel on her own for the first few years.

Our DD will also be sitting some independent schools but we prefer Latymer - its the travel to Edmonton that worries me. Other that that, we love the school.

Any views on Laytmer v Independents also appreciated,

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Latymer 2019 Entry travel arrangements/ views on the sch

Post by scary mum »

There is a thread about walking to Latymer here
Also if you put "Latymer transport" into the search facility above there are numerous threads about transport to Latymer.
In my opinion your DD would be much better off using public transport if possible. Not only is it a lot cheaper (& more environmentally friendly!) it is a lot more flexible. It is hard when you have a child of 10 to imagine them being able to negotiate public transport, but they grow up very quickly once they start senior school. I know things have changed but I traveled to school on the underground from the age of 9 & had a 15 minute walk at each end. I'm sure there will be lots of children walking in the same direction.
(Typo edited)
scary mum
copella

Post by copella »

Agree with the above comments. My son is coming to the end of his 7 yrs there and he made plenty of friends on the school bus. I wouldn't assuming your daughter will be travelling by taxi for a few years. She may feel she is missing out on travelling to school with friends. Sure the area is not great but the school do a lot to try and ensure the children are safe, the bus stops are all very close to the school and whole groups go to the stops.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Amy!

Firstly , congratulations to your daughter on her high Latymer score!

My partner and I have been going to Edmonton for many years, what with work, friends and family. It's not necessarily less safe than any other part of London. The publicity is misleading in that it implies that any part of London really could be that 'safe'. ... And that chip shop on Haselbury Road is not bad!

Your child will grow very fast and will be fine on public transport. If you like, you can do some 'dry runs' with her, once in the morning rush hour and once in the afternoon school rush hour. You will see the crowds - how many kids are around - including older pupils - and this will reassure you a bit and help her adjust quickly. Mobile phones for tracking and checking in and checking out will also help to calm your natural anxiety a bit. Your daughter will be as confident in herself as you appear to be confident in her.

It's also worth, through the school, making contact with other parents in your area, both in prospective Year 7 and in older years. You should be able to form an informal little club and also a car pool for particular occasions.

Also, the general growth, including independence, are as important as success at school.

Amy, there are no guarantees but I'm confident your child will be fine.
hexic

Post by hexic »

It would be unusual for a child to be accompanied or driven to school even in Y7, I believe. The school helps parents sign up to connect by locality at the meeting they hold at the end of y6, but in my experience they travel with friends as they wish from early on. It's true there have been several incidents of mugging and threats; we get letters regularly reminding pupils to walk on the main road, walk together and not display their phones. I do think though that locality is an important part of the school. Many of the pupils live in the area (Enfield more than Edmonton) so you need to be happy with her travelling around to meet friends as well.