Ashmole music places

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Trakka

Ashmole music places

Post by Trakka »

There have been a few questions about how far down the rankings the music places go for Ashmole (myself included!). Last night I was directed to last year's statistics where Ashmole only offered 11 places for music. In the following link, the prior years going back to 2014 are also available. They are in the sub section called "How places were allocated at Barnet Secondary Schools on <date>" in the section "Barnet schools".

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/ ... uides.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a summary of the number of music places offered:
2018 - 11
2017 - 20
2016 - 20
2015 - 17
2014 - 20

Obviously it's not rankings but it does give an indication that in a couple of years they have had to go right down to the bottom of the rankings and still not fill the 20 places.

If anyone has any information on prior year rankings and whether there was an offer or not, please post below. I will be sure to come back after 1 March and post whether my DD was successful in securing a place (Ashmole is effectively our first choice now - DAO is listed as first choice on CAF but the chances are next to nil).
ale21279

Re: Ashmole music places

Post by ale21279 »

Good luck Trakka.
We're in a very similar position to you :)
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Thanks Ale! Good luck to you too. Now for the long wait until 1 March!
dubious73

Post by dubious73 »

As you know, hundred of kids apply for the music places. I don’t understand why only 11 places were offered. I know they have to reach a certain score but surely they would fill 20 places?! I don’t understand
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dubious73 wrote:As you know, hundred of kids apply for the music places. I don’t understand why only 11 places were offered. I know they have to reach a certain score but surely they would fill 20 places?! I don’t understand
Firstly, are the 'hundreds' you refer to, the number registering to take the test (which isn't applying for a place at the school) or those putting the school and specifically, 'I am applying for a music place at this school' on their CAF? (Do you have to specify this, or do you just apply and the school assesses which category you fit into?).

Secondly, even if you do mean, hundreds putting the school on their CAF (with or without identifying under which criterion), not everyone will have put it in a position where it is the highest on their list that can offer them a place or, even if they have, they may qualify under a criterion which takes precedence, so to speak, over 'music'. So the final number specifically admitted under that criterion may be less than the maximum number available and the remaining places reallocated according to the school's admissions policy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

dubious73 wrote:As you know, hundred of kids apply for the music places. I don’t understand why only 11 places were offered. I know they have to reach a certain score but surely they would fill 20 places?! I don’t understand
Because so many use it as a back up school to the selectives plus private schools. The admissions lady at the open evening said that to even get 1/2 of the top 20 is a bonus.
dubious73

Post by dubious73 »

So perhaps they under offered and or have a score cut off? I assumed they would just keep going down the waiting list until all 20 were filled. Surely they could fill 20 places?! It’s an outstanding school. Why was last year so different I wonder?
Italian

Post by Italian »

I spoke to the admission officer and they didn't give enough children a ranking last year. You can only apply under the music criteria if you have been given a ranking. Half of the children who passed the first test and went for audition don't have a ranking this year and probably last year.
dubious73

Post by dubious73 »

Ah that makes more sense! I imagine their standard is reasonably high!
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

2019 - rank 34 and offered a place.