Dislexics

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TDJ

Dislexics

Post by TDJ »

My son is dislexics. I was getting him ready for 11 plus as he really wanted to do it. I am in two minds weather to take him through the process as this will really shatter his confidence. Can anyone suggest a good school in Barnet. What is the procedure for secondary school applications? Will Latymer or QE boys accept application from kids with this kind of disability if he goes for the 11 plus exams.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Dislexics

Post by PettswoodFiona »

TDJ wrote:My son is dislexics. ... I am in two minds weather to take him through the process as this will really shatter his confidence.
Hello TDJ, if you think it might be so devastating do think carefully. My daughter is robust and capable but we did tell her that it was the taking part that was important and not the passing, the process would help her skills and it wasn't the end of the world if she didn't pass. Only you can tell how your DS will react to possible failure, for some children it is an important and helpful lesson, for some it is just the wrong age, for some taking part and having a go is something they just need to know they've tried.

Apologies - this is meant to be helpful but I can't help but notice you spelt Dyslexic and Whether incorrectly. I mention this as from people I've met where dyslexia runs in the family they've often found going on the journey together as a parent has been helpful, the parent has benefited from the eleven plus tutoring too and it has been a success on more than one level with the child passing and the parent feeling more confident too. On the flipside, those who are otherwise very capable dyslexics but struggle with words and tried to tutor their child themselves (I am usually a fan of home familiarisation and home tutoring) it was a major disaster.
TDJ wrote: What is the procedure for secondary school applications?
Look on your local authority page for information about this, you will apply online via a Common Application form, which usually opens in September of Y6 and closes on 31st October. Each authority has slightly different rules about what evidence they need for address, additional information etc. Also check the grammar school pages for their procedures for registering for the test and many often require something called a SIF (Supplementary Information Form).
TDJ wrote:can anyone suggest a good school in Barnet
. I am not in your area, but from the top menu on this website if looking at grammar schools choose 'schools' then '11 plus regions'. For non-grammar options check your Local Authority's and neighbouring authorities secondary school admission booklets. These will summarise information about the schools, admissions, last distances offered (if that is the criteria) etc.
TDJ wrote: Will Latymer or QE boys accept application from kids with this kind of disability if he goes for the 11 plus exams.
there are Dyslexic children at my daughter's grammar and I suspect many grammars. Anyone can apply, you need to check with the admissions process to see if he might qualify for extra time or some sort of other allowance. You may also want to look at the SEN pages for the school to see if it sounds like he will get the right support, as well as do visits.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

OP, does your DS have any special arrangements in place at school to help mitigate the effects of his dyslexia on his ability to access the curriculum (coloured overlays, extra time for tests etc)? If so, you can apply for the same arrangements to be applied when / if he takes entrance exams. The schools should explain how to request this as part of their information re registering to take the exams.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Other people will be better able to answer your question about dyslexia. But having lived in Barnet for many years, I can tell you a bit about schools (taking boys) with a good reputation in Barnet.
It depends on which area you live in obviously but the following schools are good:
Ashmole: in Southgate, has a very small catchment but takes a few students on music scholarship, has a superb reputation.
Southgate: in Cockfosters, has a good reputation, takes students from a relatively wide area, students report being happy there
East Barnet: in East Barnet, has a very good pastoral reputation, does well with results, does phenomenally well at A level
Mill Hill County: has a good reputation, good results, small catchment
Compton: I don't know much about this but people seem happy
The Wren: very small catchment, very strict and disciplined, a bit of a Marmite school
Schools with less good reputations historically are Totteridge Academy and Friern Barnet but this might have changed in the last couple of years.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

loobylou wrote:Other people will be better able to answer your question about dyslexia. But having lived in Barnet for many years, I can tell you a bit about schools (taking boys) with a good reputation in Barnet.
It depends on which area you live in obviously but the following schools are good:
Ashmole: in Southgate, has a very small catchment but takes a few students on music scholarship, has a superb reputation.
Southgate: in Cockfosters, has a good reputation, takes students from a relatively wide area, students report being happy there
East Barnet: in East Barnet, has a very good pastoral reputation, does well with results, does phenomenally well at A level
Mill Hill County: has a good reputation, good results, small catchment
Compton: I don't know much about this but people seem happy
The Wren: very small catchment, very strict and disciplined, a bit of a Marmite school
Schools with less good reputations historically are Totteridge Academy and Friern Barnet but this might have changed in the last couple of years.
As LoobyLou infers it can be a bit of a lottery. My daughter has just recently been diagnosed at 15 which has explained a whole load of things including what she didn't pass the 11 or 12+ We got her into GS based on her high CAT scores, her impeccable work and high levels given by coursework. Her school have been amazingly helpful. Au contrare my oldest daughters Comp was terrible, they gave no help, turned her off education and in fact came close to bullying her at times. I also have a friend in Norfolk who can't even get the school to screen her daughter.
Incidentally my daughter hasn't struggled because of her dyslexia other than when she was learning to read (up to the age of 8/9 and now. It was picked up in the longer end of year exams in year 10. Apparently this is a common age for a diagnosis for otherwise bright children because they manage to mask by sheer hard work until the point where they have so much going on that they can't mask any longer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now