Preparation|study plan for QE Boys

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rex

Preparation|study plan for QE Boys

Post by Rex »

Hello
I am new on here but I have been reading different posts and picking out really valuable tips.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some suggestions on preparation|study plan for QE Boys.

Thanks
Last edited by Rex on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Preparation|study plan for QE Boys

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am sure people will be along with prep tips but - as you are not in denial so please do take this the right way - if you feel you need to be doing more to give him the competitive edge and he only achieved an average score in the tutor tests, you do have to ask yourself if QE is the right place for him - don't be swayed by people telling you you should be aiming for it - Latymer is your closer Grammar School and is, by all accounts, very good - and being closer is infinitely better....QE is a particular type of school - marmite, if you will - but the one thing that is very obvious is that it has some very, very very well prepared boys - almost to the point of "only" being academic - perhaps your son would be more suited to a "gentler" less competitive environment.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

KCG beat me to it, but I would agree, from your post I would urge you to question if it would be the correct school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You are in catchment of a really excellent grammar school.

Many families preparing now for QE boys would be happy to swop places with you.

For many preparing for QE boys it is their only option to gain access to a state selective school and so their preparation will reflect that.

So you are up against families who put their QE preparation as a very high priority and are prepared to uproot their whole family and leave their community to move closer to the school.

You can stay in your local community and still go to a great school.

In terms of a study plan QE has a very straightforward exam format; GL Multiple Choice English and Maths.

Did you get any detailed feedback from the tutor assessments as to where your ds was losing the marks? DG
Lenazayka75

Post by Lenazayka75 »

We do practice in the next books: CGP (ok, especially after Bond), Bond ( the most difficult is a comprehension, all other subjects are consistent, adding), Galore Park (difficult without a base preparation), Shofield and Sims ( comprehension only) and GL (ok, after CGP and Bond) .

Also, we have some study books from CGP, Galore park and Carol Volderman DK (English and Math). All of them perfectly add each other. Even CGP KS2 book has plenty of useful explanation.

We are very appreciated to our school, they help us with a comprehension, and give more challenging exercise during a day and to home since Year 4.

On Friday, we go to a small learning centre where a professor checks our progress and explain unclear moments.

During the week we do a practicing/learning at home and it takes around 1-1.5 hours every evening (before spent 1.5-2 hours, but decided reduce).

Must note, we are preparing not for QE school only. There are a lot of extra: reading, writing, VR, NVR, regular math school competitions, home work and so on.

Weekend is untouchable.

We have noticed that DC make the best progress during school holidays.

As you see, everywhere I used "WE". This is our family project. :lol: Everyone must to learn, even dad lying on a sofa :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Rex wrote:Hello
I am new on here but I have been reading different posts and picking out really valuable tips.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some suggestions on preparation|study plan for QE Boys.

Thanks
I am wondering why you felt the need to edit your post, OP, but not respond to all those who had taken the time to comment offering advice?......
Rex

Post by Rex »

Lenazayka75 wrote:We do practice in the next books: CGP (ok, especially after Bond), Bond ( the most difficult is a comprehension, all other subjects are consistent, adding), Galore Park (difficult without a base preparation), Shofield and Sims ( comprehension only) and GL (ok, after CGP and Bond) .

Also, we have some study books from CGP, Galore park and Carol Volderman DK (English and Math). All of them perfectly add each other. Even CGP KS2 book has plenty of useful explanation.

We are very appreciated to our school, they help us with a comprehension, and give more challenging exercise during a day and to home since Year 4.

On Friday, we go to a small learning centre where a professor checks our progress and explain unclear moments.

During the week we do a practicing/learning at home and it takes around 1-1.5 hours every evening (before spent 1.5-2 hours, but decided reduce).

Must note, we are preparing not for QE school only. There are a lot of extra: reading, writing, VR, NVR, regular math school competitions, home work and so on.

Weekend is untouchable.

As you see, everywhere I used "WE". This is our family project. :lol: Everyone must to learn, even dad lying on a sofa :lol:
Thanks for your post.
Currently, I'm joggling life as a working mum, school club pick ups and dashing from one activity to another that we hardly get time to work for 20mins daily but we do read together before bed...
Thanks again for your post. I am inspired to do a little bit more than I already do.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Lenazayka75 wrote:We do practice in the next books: CGP (ok, especially after Bond), Bond ( the most difficult is a comprehension, all other subjects are consistent, adding), Galore Park (difficult without a base preparation), Shofield and Sims ( comprehension only) and GL (ok, after CGP and Bond) .

Weekend is untouchable.

I really like the "we" part :lol: