Sharing Our Experience in 11 Plus Journey

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: Sharing Our Experience in 11 Plus Journey

Post by streathammum »

piggys wrote:No, the actual wording is quoted above: ' she didn't do well AS EXPECTED' - in other words she was expected to do well but didn't. Then 'got 1 A and 2 Bs ONLY'. There is only one inference to be drawn here.

The meaning is pretty clear.
I see your point but I think it's possible that the missing first 'as' might be a language issue. Probably best to give the benefit of the doubt.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

streathammum wrote:
piggys wrote:No, the actual wording is quoted above: ' she didn't do well AS EXPECTED' - in other words she was expected to do well but didn't. Then 'got 1 A and 2 Bs ONLY'. There is only one inference to be drawn here.

The meaning is pretty clear.
I think it's possible that the missing first 'as' might be a language issue. Probably best to give the benefit of the doubt.
+1
rupi80

Post by rupi80 »

Wow! Never seen such a detailed feedback. Really helpful.
Hopeful!

Post by Hopeful! »

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's been very interesting.
Forum11+

Post by Forum11+ »

Thank you for this information. I’m preparing my son, but we are doing only 1/3 of this.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Forum11+ wrote:Thank you for this information. I’m preparing my son, but we are doing only 1/3 of this.
I wouldn't worry. We did less than 1/3 of that for year 5 and nothing at all in years 3-4. My dd got into all the schools she sat for and is flying at the school she chose. If she had needed to work that hard there is no way we would have put her in fur the exams. She works hard but she's not even doing that much weekly (currently - she did more in the holidays before mocks) and she has GCSEs this year.
Last edited by loobylou on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

For context, the OP’s DS didn’t just ‘get into’ QE boys, he blew the exam out of the water (getting full marks as far as I can remember). I’m pretty sure boys will be going to QE who got 50 fewer marks (or is it less, this forum makes me nervous). So the post is a way of preparing a child to comprehensively ace the 11+ (if child as able as OP’s DS) and may be more than most of us can manage.
Congratulations to the OP’s DS and thanks to the OP for taking time to post.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I think that amount of preparation is ludicrous. There has to be a balance between encouraging children to enjoy learning and reading, and having a childhood where they can play and be young. The point of selective schools is to group together children with naturally high academic ability so they can fulfil their potential. Ideally, nobody would have tuition. If only!!!
AML

Post by AML »

I was disturbed by this post. The scheduling of each hour and day of the child’s life, portrayed a personality trait that shows the need for control. The detail and length of such a post whereby he complain’s about his wife’s family on a forum, or to tell us she quit her job after having two children, I found unnecessary.

I think there is being an informed parent and then there is being obsessive.

Apologies for being harsh and questioning the motives of why such an in-depth post but you open yourself to criticism when on a forum.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Helpneeded wrote:For context, the OP’s DS didn’t just ‘get into’ QE boys, he blew the exam out of the water (getting full marks as far as I can remember). I’m pretty sure boys will be going to QE who got 50 fewer marks (or is it less, this forum makes me nervous). So the post is a way of preparing a child to comprehensively ace the 11+ (if child as able as OP’s DS) and may be more than most of us can manage.
Congratulations to the OP’s DS and thanks to the OP for taking time to post.
The OP's DS may have been at the top end of the distribution of standardised scores, but that by no means necessarily indicates 'full marks' in the exam. Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but just as it could mean 100% raw marks, but it could equally mean 80%. Or 60%. The standardised score on its own doesn't tell you enough to have any idea and as far as I am aware, QE doesn't release the data wrt the raw scores (unlike e.g. the CSSE here ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now