Dame Alice Owens abandon CEM for GL for first round

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Dame Alice Owens abandon CEM for GL for first round

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO have abandoned CEM for GL as their first round exam.

It is likely that as before they are sharing the paper with SW Herts so students applying for both will only sit this paper once. This however has not been confirmed.

Hopefully this will mean that they will be able to get their first round results out quickly so that all but the top 325 will be able to refocus on other choices. DG
worrybot

Re: Dame Alice Owens abandon CEM for GL for first round

Post by worrybot »

Thank you for the update DG..

Would this be a relief for parents as the exam format may be easier? However thinking about it wouldn't it mean more competition?

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Only the top 325 scorers from the GL VR paper will go through to the second round.

It does mean that those preparing for Latymer and DAO will be preparing for the same format VR paper for the first round, although Latymer also has a Maths paper.

I feel it is likely that HBS will also move to GL for their first round. They have announced that it will be VR, NVR and English, all papers that GL produce separately. But they have not yet confirmed the provider. If it is GL then it does become more straightforward to prepare for the first and second round for all three schools DG
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

Thank you DG

So, in essence it will really mean more competition.

Truthfully speaking I am delighted at this as Maths and VR are DS's stronger points compared to English.

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is quite a lot of English vocab in VR.

Will SW Herts and DAO perhaps request a more English based VR paper as they both already have a Maths paper and SW Herts does not have a separate English paper. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Well, that would seem to be the full set of Herts & N. London grammars who tried CEM and then did not renew the contract. Is the decision based on cost, or effectiveness of CEM as an entrance exam?

DG, I know you were a big fan of CEM in that you felt it “worked well” as a first round for DAO and HBS.

HBS is at least going to have VR and English in round 1, attempting to maintain the literacy levels of a CEM VR paper, before using written maths and English (and distance if that proposal survived the consultation!) as the decider in round 2.

With only GL VR as round 1, do you think that the top 325 at DAO will be slightly more logically/mathematically minded - before having their English papers marked?
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

With apologies for my ignorance on this, is there much difference between CEM and GL papers?
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Yes!

If you've only been using CEM up to now to prepare for DAO, you need to get hold of GL style VR practice books asap.

There are a lot of recommendations in the VR section of the forum:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eliza7

Post by Eliza7 »

thisisnuts wrote:Yes!

If you've only been using CEM up to now to prepare for DAO, you need to get hold of GL style VR practice books asap.

There are a lot of recommendations in the VR section of the forum:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think these decisions are being made on cost.

I think CEM is a very effective tool as a first round and ironically the private schools are starting to use online CEM as a first round just as these schools are abandoning it.

I think CEM brings a level of literacy that VR does not.

DAO reported their highest ever levels in their CATS tests the year they moved from VR to CEM.

I am amazed that SW Herts are happy with an exam format with so little English in it. They do not even have a comprehension.

GCSE Science papers use word bank cloze increasingly and it is definitely a skill that comes from reading challenging books and understanding syntax.

I am really hoping that HBS is not going GL, but at least they are retaining an English paper in their first round.

I feel VR is the same old , same old whereas CEM always had some tricks up their sleeve.

But I am sure the big tutor centres will be pleased as they can teach everyone the same format for many different exams so it really works for them.

There is one school that has not returned to VR: QE!

They now have a lot more English in their exam than SW Herts. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now