Dame Alice Owens abandon CEM for GL for first round

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Dame Alice Owens abandon CEM for GL for first round

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO and SW Herts did not use the generic CEM which is NVR, NR and VR.

They only used the VR part of CEM and did not use NVR and NR.

HBS only used VR and NR and did not use NVR.

Ironically they are now introducing NVR and it looks like they have also moved from CEM to GL.

We will know shortly. DG
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Ok, I see what you mean. As CEM were commissioned by schools and LAs to meet their specific requirements I didn’t see the papers as generic and assumed you were referring to the CEM VR type questions.
Ironically they are now introducing NVR and it looks like they have also moved from CEM to GL.

We will know shortly. DG
The familiarisation papers for VR are GL
https://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/adm ... ce-papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SWHerts appear to be GL for maths and VR
https://www.swhertsschools.org.uk/famil ... on-papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

What can be the other types to appear? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Is working on Bond, CGP, Susan Daughtrey enough?

Thank you
Thank you,

Worrybot
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

SW Herts have always used GL Maths so there is no change there.

DAO write their own papers for the second round of standard format English and Maths and always have done, so no change there.

SW Herts and DAO used to use Moray House VR then changed to CEM for 4 years and have now both moved to GL. I assume it will be the same paper and everyone who is sitting both schools will do the VR at DAO as the SW Herts VR is a week later.

We wait to see the provider for HBS, it has been CEM for the past six years. They have no yet put the sample paper on their website but have stated that they are moving from Numerical Reasoning and VR to VR, NVR and English for their first round. Like DAO and Latymer they write their own papers for their second round.

The Latymer first round is GL Maths and VR. This is a single Multiple Choice paper with Maths and VR in the same paper. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

If only they could all form a consortium at least for the 1st round.

Glad to see the demise of CEM in this neck of the woods :D
wildman

Post by wildman »

worrybot wrote:What can be the other types to appear? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Is working on Bond, CGP, Susan Daughtrey enough?

Thank you
I am also confused. What 'other' questions can they put on the VR paper? And will the 22 types come up or is it possible to work out which ones will be on the paper?
We are DIYing! and focusing on SW Herts and Slough. Its so confusing. Any help will be really appreciated
altfhn

Post by altfhn »

Daogroupie wrote:Only the top 325 scorers from the GL VR paper will go through to the second round.

It does mean that those preparing for Latymer and DAO will be preparing for the same format VR paper for the first round, although Latymer also has a Maths paper.

I feel it is likely that HBS will also move to GL for their first round. They have announced that it will be VR, NVR and English, all papers that GL produce separately. But they have not yet confirmed the provider. If it is GL then it does become more straightforward to prepare for the first and second round for all three schools DG
Hi Daogroupie

Thanks for informing the vital info that DAO is going to use GL VR for first round. I am preparing my son for DAO and Latymer.

Therefore, I would be grateful if you please share your knowledge and experience regarding following queries:

1. How long will be the duration of DAO first round GL -VR test?
2. DAO second round test, (Maths and English) will be written by DAO like before?
3. How long will be the duration of Second round test?

Thanking you very much in anticipitaion.

Regards
Altfhn
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The GL VR paper is 80 questions in 50 minutes.

DAO will continue to write their own English and Maths papers for the second round as they have always done. GL VR is being used as a first round to reduce the number of English and Maths paper they have to mark.

In the past five years the number of candidates going through to the second round has almost halved from over 600 to 325.

The second round will be one hour for the English paper and then a 15 minute break and one hour for the Maths paper.

Only 325 students will take these papers as only the 325 highest ranked applicants will go through to the second round.

I see you are also taking the Kent, Redbridge and CSSE tests so you are going to have a lot of different formats to prepare for. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:The GL VR paper is 80 questions in 50 minutes.

DAO will continue to write their own English and Maths papers for the second round as they have always done. GL VR is being used as a first round to reduce the number of English and Maths paper they have to mark.

In the past five years the number of candidates going through to the second round has almost halved from over 600 to 325.

The second round will be one hour for the English paper and then a 15 minute break and one hour for the Maths paper.

Only 325 students will take these papers as only the 325 highest ranked applicants will go through to the second round.

I see you are also taking the Kent, Redbridge and CSSE tests so you are going to have a lot of different formats to prepare for. DG
Is there an overlap between the Redbridge (not a feline in Hades' chance of a place unless you are successful at appeal if you don't live in it) Common Catchment Area and the DAO catchment area? Presumably CRGS is the target school in the CSSE? Plenty of time to move to Colchester during the summer holidays btween year 6 and year 7 :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

altfhn wrote:
Hi Daogroupie

Thanks for informing the vital info that DAO is going to use GL VR for first round. I am preparing my son for DAO and Latymer.

Therefore, I would be grateful if you please share your knowledge and experience regarding following queries:

1. How long will be the duration of DAO first round GL -VR test?
2. DAO second round test, (Maths and English) will be written by DAO like before?
3. How long will be the duration of Second round test?

Thanking you very much in anticipitaion.

Regards
Altfhn
I see from looking at your other posts that you are 'preparing your ds' for several exams and consortia and that you live in central London. This means you will not be in the postcode catchment for DAO. Are you sure you have checked the catchment criterion carefully?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now