St Michael's announces PAN increase from Sept 2019 not 2020

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2disorganised

St Michael's announces PAN increase from Sept 2019 not 2020

Post by 2disorganised »

Email to current parents today announcing the increase has been brought forward to this September. Financial reasons naturally. SURELY this can't be right? The test has already been sat and results advised. People may not have applied if they felt their result wouldn't have been good enough etc.

I'm sure there are other implications that I can't think of (through the red mist)

Don't the school have to publish any changes to the Admissions Code much further in advance than this?

This really doesn't sit well with me. Any thoughts anyone?
Daogroupie

Re: St Michael's announces PAN increase from Sept 2019 not 2

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS has been going over PAN for years and QE has been over PAN for the past two years.

But I agree with you that there are some who did not put it first as they thought they had no hope from the waiting list and they might have got a place with this PAN increase.

It is always worth putting the school you really want first (if you have room on your CAF form) even if there appears to be little chance of securing a place. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

They don't have to consult to increase PAN, but must inform the LEA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 19_Dec.pdf

Sorry, don't seem to be able to copy snd paste, but see paragraphs 1.1 - 1.5.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

I suspect that the school knows how many families put it down as #1, where they sit in the ranks and are happy to accept them.

Like many schools, the small intake is hurting them a lot from a budgetary perspective, the parents are supportive and the SLT is secure and effective. Barnet are happy as a good proportion of the kids are local from the Barnet/Enfield/Harrow boroughs The results are improving too. They've taken a calculated bet that people are serious and if under 150 in the ranks, they'll take the place.
grammarman

Post by grammarman »

For the school to know the individuals placing St Michael’s as #1 would involve at least one Local Authority breaking the law and St Michael’s accomadating such practises; I think not!
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Fair point..
But they would know how many had it as a preference and if "qualified", i.e. where they ranked?
AngelinaN1

Post by AngelinaN1 »

Parents of students who sat the test in September got a letter last week, informing us of the increase of PAN to 128.
With this number they anticipate that they will be accepting places town to 170. (Which means that my daughter would be in!!!)
The letter then explores what happens when - based on the previous expectations - parents did not place SM high on their local authority admissions form. They suggest parents contact their local authority and ask them to amend the order of preference.
They also say that "any changes that are now made to the local authority form at this point will not be actioned until after the first round of offers on 1 March 2019. As the admissions process has begun, only 96 St Michael's places will be offered on 1 March, then changes to your local authority application will be actioned for an increase by 32 places - which will mean that some candidates will be awarded another school, and then will be offered SM in the second round of offers (if they are ranked amongst the next 32 students in rank order.)"

Good luck to everyone who now has a chance for a place!
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

AngelinaN1 - I think you've a very good chance in the second round given how late the school made this decision. I suspect that with the changes - and the fact some will have sat independent schools thinking they didn't get St Michael's - the ranks will go out quite far this year.
There is a real buzz around the school at the moment, what with the building work, new head, an extra class etc. Wishing you all the best !
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

There’s a new head?
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

New in September 2017
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now