QE Boys admissions- expectations for 2019 allocations?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Zoe007

QE Boys admissions- expectations for 2019 allocations?

Post by Zoe007 »

Hi,
It’s February already and as the March allocation day draws near, it might be quite a stressful time for many of us who have gone through a journey with our babies.
A question was popping in my mind and thought this platform would be the best to ask: Are QE scores for entrance test in sept 2018 generally high this time? Which ultimately means more applicants of course? Asking as have lots of scores of school boys around (most from DS school) going in the regions of 240, 250, 260s even 270s? It’s different from last years scores(where highest was in early 230s from our primary). DS score is 230.
Would be interested to know how are generally the scores around which might make me mentally prepared for either getting or not getting the preferred choice.
scary mum

Re: QE Boys admissions- expectations for 2019 allocations?

Post by scary mum »

The scores are standardised (meaning that 230 is not "out of" anything) so there will be the same spread of scores as there always is. If lots of children scored very highly it would push the raw score needed to achieve, for example, 230, but you have no way if knowing that. Roughly the same proportion will be getting 230, 240, 250 etc as every other year.
If the scores are higher in your primary school that is just year on year variation in a very small sample.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Your earlier posts say that you are living in priority level 3 for Langley so quite far from QE boys.

230 has not got in on allocation day in the last few years although it does get in before September.

If you are still living such a distance from the school you will have to wait until other boys who scored 230 who live nearer are allocated a place.

I am amazed to hear that you know so many boys who sat considering where you live.

Did you put QE first?

It is likely you will get your second choice which is presumably where you currently live. DG
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

scary mum wrote:The scores are standardised (meaning that 230 is not "out of" anything) so there will be the same spread of scores as there always is. If lots of children scored very highly it would push the raw score needed to achieve, for example, 230, but you have no way if knowing that. Roughly the same proportion will be getting 230, 240, 250 etc as every other year.
If the scores are higher in your primary school that is just year on year variation in a very small sample.

Agree, that’s my understanding of standardisation too (saw some threads here explaining it) but does it also mean that every year for example constant 50 children are given scores in 270s, 100 children in 260s, 100 in 250s and so on?
The number of kids sitting in exams per year increase exponentially and so does max score.
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

Daogroupie wrote:Your earlier posts say that you are living in priority level 3 for Langley so quite far from QE boys.

230 has not got in on allocation day in the last few years although it does get in before September.

If you are still living such a distance from the school you will have to wait until other boys who scored 230 who live nearer are allocated a place.

I am amazed to hear that you know so many boys who sat considering where you live.

Did you put QE first?

It is likely you will get your second choice which is presumably where you currently live. DG
Interestingly 80% boys in DS primary sat for QE.
Only have this cohort to compare to, would be interested to know if it’s generally a very good QE score awarded overall this time?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

80%???

What would be the travel time from where you live?

DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Only have this cohort to compare to, would be interested to know if it’s generally a very good QE score awarded overall this time?
I'm not clear what you are asking? Did you see my answer above about standardised scores? The spread of scores will be the same every year.
scary mum
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

Daogroupie wrote:80%???

What would be the travel time from where you live?

DG
40ish minutes- but then every QE boy doesn’t live in Barnet...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

No, but you seem to have other grammar schools a lot nearer to you.

I expect you will get your second choice on March 1st as you seemed to have put QE first. DG
kunalj

Post by kunalj »

The cutoff has gone up in recent years (I think it was 231 last year on allocation day than around 225 in earlier years) due to increase in number of applicants (from 2200 to around 2800 now). 230 has fair chance of being offered a place on allocation day or high rank in waiting list.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now