QE Boys admissions- expectations for 2019 allocations?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: QE Boys admissions- expectations for 2019 allocations?

Post by Daogroupie »

This will depend on whether QE is offering 180 places on allocation day or 192.

Last year it was 192 and it still stopped at 231 with some on 231 not getting a place.

If it is 180 this year it is may well stop on 232 this year. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Zoe007 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Your earlier posts say that you are living in priority level 3 for Langley so quite far from QE boys... :idea:

...I am amazed to hear that you know so many boys who sat considering where you live.
Interestingly 80% boys in DS primary sat for QE.
Was intrigued by this.

Yes, boys in DS' year come from far and wide, but I don't get the impression that so many come from Slough.

So had a look at the Langley priority areas. The priority areas are concentric rings around the school, and the NE segment of Ring 3 covers more than half of LB Harrow.

So if OP lives there, it's possible that they're actually closer to QE than to Langley!
grammarman

Post by grammarman »

Distance aside, what Primary produces boys of whom 80% have a chance of entry?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is ironic that not a single state primary or prep school in Barnet or Herts will have 80% of their boys sit QE. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

Daogroupie wrote:It is ironic that not a single state primary or prep school in Barnet or Herts will have 80% of their boys sit QE. DG
'Ironic' isn't the term I would use. :shock:
piggys

Post by piggys »

IME - and I live in the borough - most local families are shunning QE in favour of other schools. They increasingly see it as a school 'not for them', peopled by dc who are bussed in from miles and miles away.

Looks like the tourists have got what they wanted. I hope the school is happy with its intake which every year becomes less and less about the local community and more and more about helicoptered dc whose parents start tutoring them when they are in year 3 and live ages away.

40 minutes? you think? :shock:
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

grammarman wrote:Distance aside, what’ll b Primary produces boys of whom 80% have a chance of entry?
No not all got a chance of entry def, but yes 80% boys did appear in test with most scoring quite high, and yes we are in Harrow in an outstanding state primary.

My question was simple for a general parental or tutor comparison as to how generally this year’s scores are, as I know one school cohort only. Didn’t know it’s going to turn into a distance debate here. Every family has different circumstances and plans for their child’s education. This should be left to a sole parent’s responsibility I think as forms are gone out now and practically every parent who has worked hard with their DS to sit I in these competitive school’s exams know best which schools to put in their priority order.
piggys

Post by piggys »

It is about distance though isn't it? as DG points out your ds will have a lower chance of admission than someone on the same score who is nearer the school. This means distance is a determining factor when your child's score is so borderline.

I'm free to comment as I see fit, btw.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Actually I did answer your question though you have not responded to most of the questions I asked you.

I have been tracking QE for over ten years now and it is my opinion that 230 from "40 minutes away" will not get in on allocation day but probably will get in by May.

As it seems you are not planning to move you will be ok with waiting.

I strongly disagree with your assumption that all parents who have been working hard with their students know best which order to put the schools they have sat exams for.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR both QE and HBS have to offer in year exams to replace some of their Y7 students who have dropped out exhausted by the travel that their parents have inflicted on them. Travel that many of the parents would not actually consider doing themselves.

Parents have talked to me about the pressure put on them by other parents and family members to take the QE or HBS place.

One family very local to DAO had members of their family descend on them to try and persuade them to turn down DAO and take QE instead.

Another parent was told by work colleagues that she would be "abusing her dd" if she turned down the HBS for DAO even though the HBS place would mean the whole family would have to move.

They appears to be a lot of parents who believe that an education at HBS or QE is the holy grail to be pursued at all cost and the cost for some Y7s is total exhaustion.

I am a big fan of QE and HBS but the madness of travelling miles across central London by tube or coach has to stop when there are great local schools nearby.

Students tell me of students in their classes that fall asleep in class every day because they are already tired by the time they get to school.

Every year I personally talk families out of this nonsense decision but sometimes I fail because either the parents are just too starry eyed about it or the pressure of other family members and friends is just too strong.

You have clearly put QE first over your local option although you appear reluctant to admit it.

Ten years ago QE told a friend of mine who lives two streets from the school that it was very unlikely that there would be anyone local in her son's class if he put QE first. So they put DAO first where there are lots of local students.

Since then QE have added coach routes from Redbridge bringing even more students from the other side of London to Queens Road Barnet

Sometimes it is the ds who is allowed to make the decision. I do not agree with this as ten year olds have no idea of the reality of commuting. This is a decision for adults, not ten year olds.

I would love to hear the opinions of Queens Road residents about the school DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

+1 to all your comments, DG. Sadly, your words will be falling upon deaf ears in this case I fear.

I live very near High Barnet and I already said that the school is now pretty much regarded as an anomaly in the area. It is not viewed as a school for local dc. I know several dc in the environs who in recent years have taken the exam but not put it first because they felt they wouldn't fit in. The racial profile of the school bears absolutely no resemblance to North London reality and this is actively deterring people from the school - and I am telling people this from direct personal knowledge here. Most dc are bussed in from miles and miles away and their parents have little or no engagement with the school. On what planet could this be regarded as a good thing?

My friend owns the house on the corner of Wood Street and Queen's Road and has lived there for many years. Her dc went to QE (they are in their 20s now) but according to her she would 'never send them there now'. You have to ask yourself why. Every October she awaits with dread the fury and **** of the entrance tests where parents park over her driveway and swear at her if she objects. Nice.

If the discussion of distance and travel embarrasses you, Zoe007 then perhaps it has piqued your conscience. Or perhaps not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now