Dame Alice Owen's allocations March 1st 2019

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Positivenergy

Re: Dame Alice Owen's allocations March 1st 2019

Post by Positivenergy »

Waiting lists in one school will have an impact in others. My nieces want to attend the same school and I'd like nothing more for them .
Positivenergy

Post by Positivenergy »

Daogroupie wrote:The DAO academic waiting list has moved one space from 110 to 111 in five weeks.

It is going to be a very slow year.

I do not think the waiting list ranks will reach the 130s this year. DG

Yes- it feels very slow this year.
What a pity for the families still waiting and hoping . I hope your assumption is not right though and it gets to 130 ... .. :(
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

We gave up our DAO place (offered on National Offer day) for HBS (offered after the HBS allocation error was rectified). The council offered both seats to us because of this.

Dare I say, it was because of us that rank 110 moved to 111.

This would suggest that if no error had been made by HBS, no movement has occured OR remains to have occured. I can't believe it is the former. There must be people who were offered DAO and are taking up some private school offers instead.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The CAF forms go in by end of October.

So this is when some of those with higher ranks at DAO chose to put another school such as HBS, Latymer and St Ms above DAO so their rank returns and their position can be reallocated if it is high enough.

Then in between October and March you have students securing places at Habs, City, Westminster, MT, St Albans , NLCS etc and they are allocated DAO but then turn it down as they choose to go private.

Those places should then be returned AFTER March 1st.

But five weeks later only one place has been reallocated so either selfish parents are holding onto both places or there simply is only one person who has decided to give up their DAO place for a private school.

So the two opportunities for movement down the ranks have now happened and from now on it will be the odd one or two places coming up.

There would have to be another 19 places handed back for it to reach 130.

While that is possible, in my opinion it is not likely.

With the data we now have, with only one place becoming available at DAO, 13 at QE and 4 at HBS, it would be better for those with ranks in the 120s and 130s to focus on their second choice. DG
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

I understand DAOGroupie. What I am saying is that we were offered DAO but after the HBS fiasco of offering to band B girls in error, we were one of the ones offered our HBS place. We took up HBS instead and returned our DAO place. Hence, I think the rank moved to 111.

You are right however, if there is no movement yet, it would be because those with private school offers are either holding on to both places OR have decided to go with their state school offer (?Brexit effect).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

A good friend of mine was number 4 on the QE waiting list with 234 so he got one of the 13 places last week and accepted the place.

He was holding a DAO place so that went back into the pot and so I assumed it was his place that was allocated to Rank 111.

It is likely that there are families holding DAO spaces and a private school place but just a handful and not 19. DG
caficom

Post by caficom »

tiffinboys wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:You would clearly be amazed just how many families turn down QE for DAO.
DG
Would that be the case without siblings criteria?
Our boy (no siblings, now in year 7) got places in QE and DAO. Both are great schools and both get good results. We liked the more liberal approach of DAO and sent him there. So far it has been fantastic and he really enjoys going to this school every day. But we would have had no hesitation to sent him to QE if DAO had not been an option. Both are "golden tickets".
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

DAO academic list now up to 117.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

A movement of six ranks

Gosh this was some leap. But this could just be one place and the ranks between 112 and 116 could well have already gone and so there was just one movement from 111 to 117.

DG
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

DAO distance places map has been published on the website

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/down ... al-places/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smaller than any previous years
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now