Henrietta Barnet allocations 1st March 2019

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mad?

Re: Henrietta Barnet allocations 1st March 2019

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:I know at least four families holding onto HBS and large bursary offers at private schools. DG
Gosh DG what vile people, I have never met anyone who did this and unless they all opted for the grammar in the end I suspect it is activity confined to those who are somewhat over invested in their DCs' 'performance' and less in their moral education.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of a set of twins whose parents held onto six school offers from March to September.

Two each of DAO, Habs and St Albans.

I refused to have anything to do with them but apparently they told other friends that they had earned the places so it was their right to keep them as long as they needed to.

They did not release the places until their inability to be at three different schools at the same time forced them to give up the spare four places in September when term started. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

This
Daogroupie wrote:they told other friends that they had earned the places
is what I meant by over invested parents, entitlement culture and bragging rights at their worst.
mad?
Chan2018

Post by Chan2018 »

Any waiting list movement this week? Only W/L 7 got the place. I sent email to school about W/L movement. No answer. If anyone got the place or message from school please let me know.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

I'm not trying to defend the indefensible today, I promise!

But there was a question mark over the company that runs the coach service and I know most of the HBS girls come from a huge radius. Is it possible people are waiting to see if that gets cleared up before they decide whether to move for a St Paul's place or stay put and coach to Hampstead Garden Suburb?
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

CestMoi wrote:
But there was a question mark over the company that runs the coach service
For any new HBS parents, I was told by the police they would recommend not using the coach service.
chillmum1

Post by chillmum1 »

Its a bit of a mystery this year, the waiting list has not moved beyond 7, very different and strange compared to all previous years. What changed this year? Any theories? Other grammar schools also showing the same pattern or just HBS?

Only 7 people rejected out of 104? The acceptance rate is 93% ??
nyr

Post by nyr »

chillmum1 wrote:Only 7 people rejected out of 104? The acceptance rate is 93% ??
In the last few years HBS waiting lists have started somewhere after ranks 117 and 126:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1

This suggests that the waiting list might have started at rank 120+ and the 7th position in the waiting list might well have been at rank 130+ so, a 93% acceptance rate is almost certainly an over-estimate.
chillmum1 wrote:Other grammar schools also showing the same pattern or just HBS?
As far as I can tell, the QE waiting list has been stuck at 13 for quite some time.

Both are Barnet schools so, I guess it could be some sort of a clog in the local authority's handling of admissions.

Waiting lists in both these schools are dependent on movement to the independent sector so, it could be that parents are holding onto a state school place because of Brexit uncertainty. Might a People's Vote before September 2019, if there is one at all, lead to a big jump in waiting list positions?
mumdad1234

Post by mumdad1234 »

Has anyone whose dd got seat in hbs received any paperwork of any sort from hbs yet? I m slightly worried now as qe has sent the donation form and clubs form etc already. Any thoughts? Only 2 months r left before school closure for summer break. Thanks...
Chan2018

Post by Chan2018 »

Any news from HBS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now