Henrietta Barnet allocations 1st March 2019

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Henrietta Barnet allocations 1st March 2019

Post by Daogroupie »

Those invited to visit the school today were those who were not offered a place and should have been.

So this morning was added to cover those people.

It was 1030am this morning. I am waiting to hear feedback.

Some attending today have already paid private school deposits and it seems that although City and Habs return them within 14 days, NLCS do not, not even within a few days.

So HBS would need to impress sufficiently this am to make the loss of a three thousand pound deposit worthwhile. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Daogroupie wrote:Some attending today have already paid private school deposits and it seems that although City and Habs return them within 14 days, NLCS do not, not even within a few days.

So HBS would need to impress sufficiently this am to make the loss of a three thousand pound deposit worthwhile. DG
As long as they didn't turn up at the school with a cheque (or cash!) in hand, could parents have recourse under what was known as the Distance Selling Regulations - now part of the general Consumer Contracts Regulations?:

"Your right to cancel a service made at a distance starts the moment you enter into the contract and lasts 14 days"

(Copied from the Which? website)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Arguably it is not just a loss of a £3000 deposit though, is it, DG? They might lose the £3k but they will also not be paying any more fees - I haven't looked to see what NLCS charge but I suspect it is a lot, over 7 years.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that this debacle hasn't hit the press yet - they are very interested in shortages of school places and this kind of maladministration cannot help.

The school may be good but their admin falls short time and time again, seemingly. But do they rely on parents having short memories, perhaps? Once a child has been offered a place, do parents feel so relieved that they keep quiet? This means they get away with their errors or poor communication year on year....
Totally agree KCG. Perhaps the people directly affected should speak out.....
AML

Post by AML »

Daogroupie wrote:Those invited to visit the school today were those who were not offered a place and should have been.

So this morning was added to cover those people.

It was 1030am this morning. I am waiting to hear feedback.

Some attending today have already paid private school deposits and it seems that although City and Habs return them within 14 days, NLCS do not, not even within a few days.

HB should cover the deposit cost. What a cock up.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

AML wrote:HB should cover the deposit cost. What a cock up.
"Hard-up state school pays £3000 to leading independent school!"

Are you actively trying to generate outraged headlines in the redtops??

:lol:
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

I hear offers were made to a couple of families in RG1. How far spread is this years offers? This will help families trying in the future. I’m curious how many within the 3 miles will rank high in the HBS exams.
Could it be possible the 3 mile radius is ignored this year?
How is it dealt with if the parents claim to move into the catchment?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

SummersLazy wrote:I hear offers were made to a couple of families in RG1. How far spread is this years offers? This will help families trying in the future. I’m curious how many within the 3 miles will rank high in the HBS exams.
RG1 as in Reading? If so I hope they are moving closer to the school. That would be an unsustainable journey everyday.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SummersLazy wrote:I hear offers were made to a couple of families in RG1. How far spread is this years offers? This will help families trying in the future. I’m curious how many within the 3 miles will rank high in the HBS exams.
The three mile priority area come into effect from the 2020 intake, I think?

I'm sure the answer will be something like, People just want the best for their DC, but I'm rather hoping that you are in a very, very small minority if you consider it encouraging that someone is willing to consider a daily commute from Reading to Hampstead Garden Suburb for an eleven year old :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Three Miles is for next year, not this year.

Admissions criteria have be finalised in the March before the September exam. They can't be changed after students have sat the exam and applied.

Provided they check that students actually do live in the three mile radius I will be surprised if it gets to double figures. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now