St Michael’s 1st March 2019 Allocations

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CestMoi

Re: St Michael’s 1st March 2019 Allocations

Post by CestMoi »

I would echo what wisdom says.

There was a rumour that the black coat would go/be updated this year but that came to nothing. My personal bet is that it'll go for next year's intake (start of PP dedicated places). They're changing the dining system to entirely cashless with this being a key reason, and the coat can't go unnoticed. The head is very progressive indeed and a huge asset to the school.

I agree with previous posters that the uniform is bulletproof. It's also a right of passage to start in one down to your lower shins and finish GCSEs with it 6 inches higher :D

Like all things, there will be aspects that you will love and don't love at a school so give it time.. It's hardly a surprise that St M is a traditional girls school and that's what you get when you choose it but it's also a very warm school.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

In wisdom's daughters' time at the school, I think there may even have been a summer uniform - thankfully long gone.
The PE kit is new in the past few years and some of the girls currently at the school are still wearing out the old one.
Next the coat?! I've just asked my oldest DD- chief complainer on this matter - if she'd swap it for a modern take of a black coat and it was an emphatic NO. So maybe it's one of those things that the girls love to hate!

:D :D
llhj

Post by llhj »

And also to add, there is a second hand shop in the school and you can pick up coats and blazers there very cheaply. Also, if families are struggling to afford uniform, then please get in touch with Admissions and they will offer assistance.
shinopt

Post by shinopt »

Anyone interested for a car sharing from UB and HA postcodes? Today during the BBQ, We could form a group of parents from UB, HA postcodes and planning to arrange a door to door pick up and drop. Those who are interested pls reply here.
CalmDad

Post by CalmDad »

Hello All,

Does anyone have an idea of the lowest ranked number in the exam that successfully got an offer last year (after the expansion)?
I know it used to be about 130-139 previously when the intake was capped at 96.

regards
CD
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you read through the thread there is a poster who got a place at Rank 151 but it could well have gone beyond that.

I am sure the admissions department would tell you the final rank if you ring them or send an email. DG
Canon

Post by Canon »

I have a few practical Q's to ask pls:

1. Qs to the ex or current St M's parents - What clubs and activities are available before / at lunch break / after school please? Which is most popular?

2. What is the closing time for school library?

3. Where can you purchase 2nd hand St M's uniforms and will new parents be introduced to these shops?

Trying to plan financially about school journeys and money saving tips on uniforms.

Many thanks, Canon
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Canon wrote: 1. Qs to the ex or current St M's parents - What clubs and activities are available before / at lunch break / after school please? Which is most popular?
The most popular sports are badminton - currently Friday after school for two hours for year 7 - and netball (an hour). Dance is taken seriously too, with a casual club and a more serious group entering competitions (both at lunch I think). There are various lunchtime clubs, e.g. football/art/debating etc, but are not as serious as the above. Note that several of these clubs are run by 6th formers which can provide a shock to parents used to teachers doing everything.

There are various music gatherings at different levels, including one by invitation (grade 5?) and also choir. In addition, a number of external teachers come in during school time to teach a wide range of instruments.

Every year there is a play and several music concerts/recitals.

I've never known a club before school but the school is open for early arrivals very early.
2. What is the closing time for school library?
4.30pm, so about an hour after school.
3. Where can you purchase 2nd hand St M's uniforms and will new parents be introduced to these shops?
There is apparently a 2nd hand shop but I don't know the details. Do call the school office who can give you the details.
shinopt wrote: Anyone interested for a car sharing from UB and HA postcodes?
There are 2 mini coaches from Harrow and Uxbridge areas. These are organised by parent groups but the office can give you contact numbers to find out more.

I would say that bar some local kids, almost all of St Michael's girls travel by public transport, from as far south as Islington to Harrow in the West and Winchmore Hill/Edmonton in the East. Wherever you are, there is likely to be a gang in purple!!

On the last admitted rank, it's more complicated this year because the girls with pupil premium have preference for a place on a lower ranking than non-pupil premium and that accounts for a quarter of the places. Hence the last ranked number is no longer so straightforward as there are in effect two rankings. Just because one child on 151 got in, it doesn't mean number 150 has a place if one is PP and the other isn't.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Finally, congrats and welcome to all who have a place. St Michael's is quite a unique school - traditional while not being pushy, warm while giving the kids great independence and freedom, full of great opportunities like Latin and 3 MFL at GCSE, and wonderfully diverse.
Canon

Post by Canon »

Wonderful! Thank you for the warm welcome CestMoi.

It's great to know that St M's offers so many teamwork activities (sports & music) to take place in the middle of the day.
Luckily not all are fast pace games & some are operated by the goodwill of 6 formers. (excellent for their CVs)

Do these activities start from Yr 7? What about IT or Science club? Not as much interest?

Thank you for sharing the travelling tips & library opening time - just an option in case DD decides to join badminton or netball after school or misses the school coach !
Yes - Hello to the 2020 Sept Year 7s ( those that have accepted their places ) and Best of Luck to all the others (waiting & preparing for second round of allocations).

Canon
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now