Diversity at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

resrtr

Re: Diversity at HBS

Post by resrtr »

If it's only hardwork that gets the child in, then the child is going to have a very hard time in a grammar and it will do great harm to the self esteem.

But just going in for an 11 plus exam without any preps where only the brilliant get in is ideal , but then it's not a utopian world that we live in. ( As an aside, I have seen many brilliant people underachieve, because some do not have the required work ethics or discipline - sometimes more than intelligence, what you need is the ability to knuckle down )

The children who are fortunate to have educated parents are always going to have an advantage, this needs to be looked into and more allocation of seats for children from disadvantaged backgrounds should be introduced in all grammar seats and people should be made more aware of the advantages of a grammar school education - probably the local primary schools can play a part.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

AML wrote:
Deb70 wrote: I am proud to say all my children got into selective schools with no tuition and no coaching.
That would be implying they never touched a single material from a GL pack paper to a bond book. Really??
Still waiting for a response to this.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

nyr wrote: much as I believe in my children's academic abilities, I would never have entered them for HBS or QE exams without preparation
Agreed. Why on earth wouldn't you want to give your children the very best chance?
expat

Post by expat »

Middlesexmum wrote:
nyr wrote: much as I believe in my children's academic abilities, I would never have entered them for HBS or QE exams without preparation
Agreed. Why on earth wouldn't you want to give your children the very best chance?
What do you count as enough preparation to give them the very best chance? 10 hours with practice books to familiarize them with the types of questions and a couple of mock exams to familiarize them with the timing? Or three hours a week plus holiday camps for four years?
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

DSDSDD wrote: Still waiting for a response to this.
Are you?!

Ok! My kids had no tuition (extra teaching of maths and English outside of school work) and no coaching (attendance of "mock" exams, practice of exam technique/strategy).

They had some preparation/familiarisation over the six week summer holiday before the exam, as recommended by the exam provider. They completed the familiarisation papers that are provided online, at home. Other than this, they did (and still do) a lot of reading.

There you go.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This thread has gone way off topic, so I am going to lock it now.
scary mum