Diversity at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Deb70

Re: Diversity at HBS

Post by Deb70 »

crazycrofter wrote: Ds didn't think the 'gora' comments were necessarily derogatory (eg 'hey, gora, do you want to play table tennis?') but he and his white friends felt singled out by them.
That is totally unacceptable! I would be outraged. Seriously!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Deb70 wrote:
crazycrofter wrote: Ds didn't think the 'gora' comments were necessarily derogatory (eg 'hey, gora, do you want to play table tennis?') but he and his white friends felt singled out by them.
I agree. There is also a WGG (White Girl Gang) culture at HBS :shock:
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

I would have to avoid a school where there was such a large majority of one particular cultural group such that minority groups were treated so disrespectfully.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am really sad to hear that about HBS.

It surprises me.

I hope nobody is going to pop up and say its the same at QE.

DG
Choco

Post by Choco »

The comment wasn't about HBS but a school in Birmingham.

It's interesting isn't it how white people feel about being a minority, when they are mostly in the majority in this country. I guess no-one likes being in the minority really. I wonder if being a minority in a school is very different if you are in the majority in the country as a whole.

Very encouraging though to see the comments about children making many friends and ethnicity not really being an issue and that the children tend to find their own 'type' which isn't about ethnicity, but personality, attitudes, values etc. That is encouraging I think to people who might feel worried about being a minority.

In the end, I suspect that for those who are truly committed to accessing a very selective education for their child, the minority issue ceases to be a key determinant in choosing schools. However, for those who are taking into account a wide range of factors, it could be off-putting and as such, those schools lose out on a broader range of applicants and become very homogenous. Clearly, schools like HBS aren't short of applicants anyway, but they might be deprived of some very good applicants who choose not to apply as diversity issues put them off. That is not the fault of groups who might dominate, but can become a bit of a cycle. And I think that if a cycle is established its a real shame, especially if it something which means local people don't choose to apply to a really great school. Again, absolutley not the fault of any groups within the school at all and no-one to blame.

It does make me wonder again about the super selective system based purely on score. There are positives about it, but also downsides. A clear downside is that a good school becomes a good school which is largely not for the local population, and possibly one that is less ethnically diverse. It is one reason why I believe some form of catchment/priority area should be used and am glad there is at least a move towards this with HBS. It will take time to filter through the school, but as more local children enter a school, as long as it is an area of ethnic diversity, that too will be represented.

It may well be that some ethnic groups have a bigger work ethic and more aspiration regarding education than some. On that basis, hard work and aspiration certainly seems to pay off, with places going to that group. And on the basis of hard work, this seems fair and fair reward really. However, I think as a society we need to question whether we want a school system which requires the levels of effort that now seem needed to gain admission to some schools. It maybe that some groups are willing to push their children and their children are willing to work to the levels required, but I think many think those levels are unacceptable and especially for children, there are points beyond which,nit is wrong for the system itself to be encouraging. Grammar schools are of course for bright children, but admitting many children on the basis of some kind of catchment as well as a baseline score, might remove or at least stem the continually increased efforts which are required to gain a place, and give a system which whilst not perfect by any means, allows an academic education for clever children, without it involving the system we have now where the levels of preparation needed are so extreme that most people think they simply can't be good for children.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Choco I agree with your overall premise. As we know there is no difference in IQ based on ethnicity, it is clear that some cultures are more prepared to push children academically than is considered the norm in the UK.
Some are prepared to consider commutes for children that adults wouldn't do.
A local catchment area goes a long way to having a school reflect the ethnicity of its area.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Choco wrote:
It's interesting isn't it how white people feel about being a minority, when they are mostly in the majority in this country. I guess no-one likes being in the minority really.
I wouldn't have a problem with my child being in a minority (in fact they are). I do have a problem with little boys being called "gora" ("whitey"). The tone of that comment about "white people" sounds rather dubious to me.
SummersLazy

Post by SummersLazy »

Please I stand by my earlier point about HBS is a great school for the like minded and the girls don’t realise their colours. It’s like puppies of same litter but different colours.

But I am fed up with the comments on pushy parenting said about a certain race. You have fair share of anxious parents at gymnasiums, ballet schools and tennis courts. Have you not watched child genius yet?

Please give them the proper credit they deserve that they were indeed good at Maths and English.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

SummersLazy wrote:
But I am fed up with the comments on pushy parenting said about a certain race.Have you not watched child genius yet?
Rather a poor example if you are trying to show that Asian parents are not pushy :lol:
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Deb70 wrote:
Indeed, we went straight to the head with it and it was dealt with very promptly on the same day. The issue seems to have gone away now so I'm happy with the outcome and hopefully those boys learned something.

Don't get me wrong though, ds is now very happy at school. Having been bullied at his very 'white' primary, I've no regrets at all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now