Diversity at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nyr

Re: Diversity at HBS

Post by nyr »

I believe Deb70's children are at selective schools in Bucks where historically there were approximately 3 candidates to each selective place, so a reasonably bright child, with the appropriate family background, may well secure a place with little or no obvious familiarisation.

The situation is, shall we say, not exactly the same where there are approaching 30 candidates for each place, as is the case with HBS.
Last edited by nyr on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nyr

Post by nyr »

My children have been trained in very many ways, such as to use the toilet, sit in polite company, understand the needs of other people and to pass 11+ exams but I assure you they've been no where near a dog training school.

Back to the 11+. Entrance exams in my neck of the woods, a short stroll from HBS, are extremely competitive and, much as I believe in my children's academic abilities, I would never have entered them for HBS or QE exams without preparation. This training was determined by each child's natural abilities and targeted to the school's tests but it was nowhere near from age 7, or 8 or 9, but from 10. You have to bear in mind that forumite Yes doesn't actually have a child at HBS or QE so they may not be ideally placed to comment on the intellectual abilities of the successful exam candidates or how they prepared.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Sorry for any offence. I'm not implying that children should have zero preparation (although that would be ideal, and fairer!)

I was just really astounded at the "it's not cleverness, it's training" comment, which I totally disagree with.

I also don't like the implication that parents who don't go to extreme lengths to push their kids into GS, are somehow "lazy", or less deserving of places for their children.

I don't think it should be a competition for parents at the expense of their children.
kunalj

Post by kunalj »

There is proposal for HBS expansion from 2021 admission year.

There is an update at its site

Provide additional places
• Increase the Published Admission Number (PAN) for Years 7-11 from 100 (4-form entry) to 150 (5-form entry)
from September 2021
• Increase the size of the Sixth Form from 270 currently to 300 (to accommodate the 150 going through from Years
7 - 11) from September 2021
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

DEB 70, Parents who go to extreme lengths are doing a disservice to their child - but a certain amount of preparation is required to get into schools in the London/Essex area. That is how the world is now and probably the ' immigrants' are unfazed by it - the competition 'back home' make them have a very pragmatic approach to hard work and preparation and the children pick up the same attitude from the parents. I am a second gen ' immigrant' so have a middle way approach,which works best for my family and kids.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

kunalj wrote:There is proposal for HBS expansion from 2021 admission year.

There is an update at its site

Provide additional places
• Increase the Published Admission Number (PAN) for Years 7-11 from 100 (4-form entry) to 150 (5-form entry)
from September 2021
• Increase the size of the Sixth Form from 270 currently to 300 (to accommodate the 150 going through from Years
7 - 11) from September 2021
Also says:

”Barnet Council are supporting our application. The school is hugely over-subscribed and the intention is to offer more places, including more for families from the surrounding area, as well as extending the opportunity for disadvantaged candidates (those who are eligible for the Pupil Premium Grant (PPG).

As part of these proposals we intend to invite any pupil premium candidate who is ranked in the top 500 of our Round One Entrance Test, to sit the Round Two Test and those who rank in the top 350 will be offered a place at the School.”

Let’s see if these changes are enough to win funding this year!
nyr

Post by nyr »

Deb70 wrote:Sorry for any offence.
Accepted with thanks.
CSB

Post by CSB »

nyr wrote:Incidentally, gymnasts, hairdressers, ballet dancers, swimmers, rugby players, dentists, etc are all trained and I've yet to see a dog in any of these roles.
This is a good point. In sport it's hard work that makes for winning athletes regardless of the starting talent. If someone has gained a place at a grammar school through hard work then they are totally deserving of that place. If they're not local or 'diverse' enough that's not relevant - it's the entry criteria that should be criticised, not the successful applicants and their parents. So long as the child shares the parents' grammar school dream it's not a problem how many hours have gone into achieving the goal and how early they started training. In sport that kind of dedication from kids is celebrated not criticised, and for every success story there are far more kids who have sacrificed 'normal' childhoods to train long hours before and after school and still don't make it in their sport. They rarely see this as a wasted effort and this dedication most likely helps them in the future.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is celebrated everywhere except academic: sport, music, chess, drama.

And in fact it is only the 11 plus that is attacked.

Students can do huge amounts of work for GCSES, A levels and University entrance tests and this is all celebrated.

DG
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

CSB wrote:
regardless of the starting talent
Nope. Sorry. I just don't agree. Sports training isn't the same as the eleven plus. The exam is supposed to be a tool used to stream children based on academic ability so that all children end up with the most appropriate kind of teaching for their ability.

It isn't a competitive sport.

Was the eleven plus not supposed to select children based on ability so that those from any background could access the schools? What about very clever children whose parents (for whatever reason) cannot provide any exam preparation? They have no chance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now