Diversity at HBS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

resrtr

Re: Diversity at HBS

Post by resrtr »

A 50 percent allocation for local children in the first round would have been more effective
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

resrtr wrote:A 50 percent allocation for local children in the first round would have been more effective
But not legal.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

Oh! Didn't know that
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

resrtr wrote:Oh! Didn't know that
It's applying an oversubscription criterion (i.e. a ranking of applicants - those who have actually named the school on their CAF and submitted it to their LA) to exam candidates. Just like St Michael's saying, We're always oversubscribed with category 1 girls, so we'll only let girls in category 1 sit the test.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are not going to a catchment.

They are giving priority to local girls who get through to the second round.

The first round remains non catchment.

I predict that there will not be enough local girls in the second round to take even 20% of the second round places. DG
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

And why is that? They should take up the opportunity
Yes

Post by Yes »

resrtr wrote:And why is that? They should take up the opportunity
They should get through first round to get this opportunity.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yes wrote:
resrtr wrote:And why is that? They should take up the opportunity
They should get through first round to get this opportunity.
What, be cleverer, work harder, get their parents to employ better tutors for them? Or get their parents to register them for the exam in the first place? I have no personal knowledge of Hampstead Garden Suburb - is it an area of not particularly bright girls / parents who lack the desire to send their DDs to a selective school / selective state school / single sex school?
Yes

Post by Yes »

I don't know the area. But there is the fact - not so many local girls at the school. How many local girls got through the first round this year?
Probably local schools are good and the sacrifice the family need to make to get the girls to HBS is not worth it.
Probably they are not happy with the diversity of the school.
Probably they can afford indies.
So many "probablies"
And definitely, it is not about being cleverer. It is about being trained better.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Yes wrote:it is not about being cleverer. It is about being trained better.
Omg how sad it that? Are these children or dogs? Trained better?!!!! I am proud to say all my children got into selective schools with no tuition and no coaching. They are having normal, happy childhoods. They will of course always have support and help from me, but their successes will be their own.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now