Ashmole audition music length

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Purplerain10

Ashmole audition music length

Post by Purplerain10 »

Hi there, we are applying for a music place for my son at Ashmole and also MHCH. I know that Mill Hill has a cut-off length of 2 minutes for the performance, but does Ashmole have a similar maximum length?
Many thanks!
Diana

Re: Ashmole audition music length

Post by Diana »

Hello, my ds did Ashmole last year. I think there is a limit...can't remember but either 2 or 3 mins. If you get through the 1st round you get a letter inviting you to audition which gives details. My ds enjoyed the whole experience at Ashmole...not so.much at MHCH. Which instrument/s does your dc play?
Purplerain10

Post by Purplerain10 »

Hi there, thanks for replying and for the info. It's interesting your DS enjoyed the Ashmole experience more than MHCH. Do you know why? My DS plays the violin and guitar. What about yours? We are actually much geographically closer to Ashmole, so would prefer a place there - I think!
Diana

Post by Diana »

The examiners at Ashmole were apparently much more friendly and encouraging. The ones at MCHS were apparently quite stern and did not crack a smile. Maybe it was just our experience so please don't worry. Ashmole was very well organised, welcoming and ran smoothly to time etc.My ds hated the audition at MHCH and as soon as he came out he said he definitely didn't want to go to the school. Ashmole seems very good all round school.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Meant to say, my ds plays electric guitar....I could be wrong but think Ashmole like guitars more than MCHS...
nyr

Post by nyr »

My DS and DD found the examiners at the MHCHS music auditions ridiculously harsh. For her auditions DD played Vivaldi's Danza Pastorale and the feedback she received from NLCS was, "That was superb! We need you to come and teach our GCSE students how to play that." Similar praise from Ashmole. She had a near perfect score for that piece in her ABRSM exam and received a gold medal at a music festival. Whereas for the MHCHS audition, which was running very late, even though she'd cut out the repeats, to bring the piece down to close to 2 minutes, the examiners stopped her dead on 2 minutes and gave a score which was quite out of line with the others and we had to laugh when we saw it.

Interestingly, despite the harshness, both DC did get scores high enough to secure music places at MHCHS, which they didn't take up. On the other hand when my nephew, who's now at Latymer, did his audition at MHCHS the examiners were charming and full of praise but his overall score wasn't high enough to secure a place. It was all a bit random.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Ashmole audition is 3 minutes. My DD enjoyed the audition there as well. I agree with Diana the whole thing was very well organised. DD didn't do an audition at Mill Hill so can't comment.
Purplerain10

Post by Purplerain10 »

Thanks for your replies. It's interesting to hear the different experiences.
If Ashmole asks for 3 minutes max, would my son be able to play 2 minutes of violin and 1 minute of guitar? or really, would it be better to stick to one!
Thanks
Diana

Post by Diana »

Hello, I think from memory of last year the letter re the audition asked that you only play one instrument. Am sure you could email the school and ask.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Yes I had the same advice - only one instrument. My DD was asked in the audition if she played any other instruments so she was able to talk about other instruments then. I would suggest that your DS plays his best instrument and a piece that he really loves and can show his enthusiasm.