Any news on those choosing between HBS and other offer?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Khushi6

Re: Any news on those choosing between HBS and other offer?

Post by Khushi6 »

I request those not taking there HBS place to make sure they have declined it officially this is a matter of making my daughter an extremely happy girl. She has worked so hard as have all of the children and I would love to have some good news next week after the mess up on the 1st
AML

Post by AML »

Khushi6 wrote:I request those not taking there HBS place to make sure they have declined it officially this is a matter of making my daughter an extremely happy girl. She has worked so hard as have all of the children and I would love to have some good news next week after the mess up on the 1st
Unfortunately there will be some who will hold onto the HB/state offer and an Indie offer right until Sept perhaps, while they still decide between the two.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Khushi6 - where are you on the waiting list?
Khushi6

Post by Khushi6 »

Middlesexmum wrote:Khushi6 - where are you on the waiting list?
Top 5 so all fingers and toes are crossed
Chan2018

Post by Chan2018 »

FROM LAST YEAR W/L :
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 pm 

Date WL Offered 
10/04 12
18/04 16
21/04 21 (yes, it seems so)
mid/05 22
05/06 25
29/06 26
03/08 32
14/09 35 
[/code]

It is quite a big jump as last year WL 26 was offered a place in end of June.

WAITING IS HARDER THAN 11PLUS EXAM.
Khushi6

Post by Khushi6 »

Chan2018 wrote:FROM LAST YEAR W/L :
Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 pm 

Date WL Offered 
10/04 12
18/04 16
21/04 21 (yes, it seems so)
mid/05 22
05/06 25
29/06 26
03/08 32
14/09 35 
[/code]

It is quite a big jump as last year WL 26 was offered a place in end of June.

Hahahahaha it is!

Are there any old posters who can share experiences of the way the second round allocation works? Is it correct in saying it will be on the 29th? Also is it email phone or letter?
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Chan2018 wrote:FROM LAST YEAR W/L :

Indeed when you are waiting only for one particular school!.
miller

Post by miller »

I really don’t understand why parents hold onto both state and Independent offers. The headteacher at our school has sent (quite rightly in my opinion) a quite strongly worded email to all yr6 parents at our school requesting that those holding both, think carefully about the affect this will have on other families, particularly this year, which appears to be a high birth rate year. I know the email ‘persuaded’ two sets of families to release their state offers last week, which they had no intention of taking up. I have been told that other Headteachers have also done this, this year.

There are very few reasons to hold both. Independent deposits will have been paid now and engagement with the chosen school increasing, why not let other families have the same peace of mind and security too?

Two years ago I know of a family who held onto their state place right up to the second day of term. The child’s name was on class lists, excuses made why they had not been able to attend the induction day and paperwork completed. During the same time, deposit and fees were paid to an Independent, induction day completed, uniform bought and transport planned. When questioned later, the family actually had no explanation as to why they had done this, the answer seemed to be ‘because we can’.
Khushi6

Post by Khushi6 »

miller wrote:I really don’t understand why parents hold onto both state and Independent offers. The headteacher at our school has sent (quite rightly in my opinion) a quite strongly worded email to all yr6 parents at our school requesting that those holding both, think carefully about the affect this will have on other families, particularly this year, which appears to be a high birth rate year. I know the email ‘persuaded’ two sets of families to release their state offers last week, which they had no intention of taking up. I have been told that other Headteachers have also done this, this year.

There are very few reasons to hold both. Independent deposits will have been paid now and engagement with the chosen school increasing, why not let other families have the same peace of mind and security too?

Two years ago I know of a family who held onto their state place right up to the second day of term. The child’s name was on class lists, excuses made why they had not been able to attend the induction day and paperwork completed. During the same time, deposit and fees were paid to an Independent, induction day completed, uniform bought and transport planned. When questioned later, the family actually had no explanation as to why they had done this, the answer seemed to be ‘because we can’.
This is exactly what makes me sad and angry at the same time. This is why I declined my places at other schools as I felt there was a family who wouldn’t get the news they wanted until I did so. My DD is in the top 5 so I feel she will get in but I can’t help but feel like parents who hold on to places in case they change their mind or perhaps because they worked so hard for it they feel wrong giving it up? It is simple you can not go to two schools....tick tock the time is ticking once second closer to second allocation day
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Last year we were given a late offer to a state school we never thought we'd get as it seemed so unlikely and only put down as a pipe dream (to the extent we hadn't even visited but it has great renown). When the offer came we were poleaxed and wanted a few days to think about it. We were told that we only had a day to do so. Given that we were choosing between a state school and a private school I asked the council what was to stop someone holding on for a state school for as long as they wanted in these circumstances. They told me that they'd be informing the private school that we were declining the place should we accept the state offer.

I don't know if this was true or not but I think it's a good idea to prevent this awful selfish hoarding. We had no intention of holding onto both offers for more than a few days, I hasten to add, as I remember how infuriated I was to see pegs in reception with the names of kids I knew had no intention of going to the state primary.

As it was, I negotiated a few days grace on the state offer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now