St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
caroest

Re: St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Post by caroest »

Thank you very much for all the information!
My daughter is in year 5 and her CoE school offers FHC now ( she’s studying for it before class and they’ll do it in 2 weeks) and confirmation in June.
The reason why I always thought it made no difference to the school was because I know many kids who got into Catholic secondaries ( St Thomas Moore for example) because they were Catholic but were attending a CoE school.
I will visit my local parish as suggested and see if there’s anything we can do.
As I said, I’m not veering off the Catholic Church but my daughter got into an outstanding school with links to the CoE and I never thought there was much of a difference in ethos and pastoral care. I’d like my daughter to continue her education in the same Christian ethos plus I see St Michael’s girls every day and they are absolutely wonderful!
DD has been studying hard for her 11+ and she’s very academic so it maysense to apply for St Michael’s.
Thanks again and I’ll see what we can do.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

I don't think you'd have a hope of getting into St Michael's with your current situation, a friend told me that at a meeting last year the Head described the school as a "Catholic girls grammar....in that order"!

You need a letter from your parish priest confirming that your child attends Mass plus baptism & first holy communion certificates.

I can't think of any Catholic secondaries who don't have these requirements - or why you'd want to attend them if you weren't Catholic, the "Catholic part" of the school is a daily aspect of being there.

It's your church attendance that is the issue, what school you are currently at has nothing to do with it.
Last edited by Sla212 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hera

Post by Hera »

The reason why I always thought it made no difference to the school was because I know many kids who got into Catholic secondaries ( St Thomas Moore for example) because they were Catholic but were attending a CoE school.
It is not the attendance at a CofE school that is your issue; it is not practising and being part of a Catholic Church. If you were your daughter would have probably done her FHC in year 3. We went through it in 2 different parishes and it is hard to avoid; generally involves a year of sessions for the kids and often the parents too :lol:
Keiralou

Post by Keiralou »

As others have said, the Catholic part of the name is hugely important and followed at St Michael’s... I’m really not sure that you will have a chance. I’m a bit confused as to why, as church goers, your daughter did not do communion classes and her FHC in Year 3, which is when most children would make theirs. Anyway, it’s worth contacting the school and your parish to see what can be done. If you live in my parish, you would have no hope as the priest is very hot on regular (and proof of) mass attendance before even starting the course!
caroest

Post by caroest »

Thanks again for your reply.
All the best to you all. Cxx