Grammar School Options for Girls near QE boys

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Grammar School Options for Girls near QE boys

Post by ToadMum »

DAO's 2020 admissions policy is up on its website; Latymer just says, 'watch this space from March...'

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/admissions/

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/down ... s-2020-21/

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/down ... al-places/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mdalip

Post by mdalip »

thanks

DAW is very clear with their criteria, looks like month of december is the deadline. I have checked the website for Latymer school, no such information available. I am not sure if school will be able to provide this information as the call goes to reception and they just refer back to school website. Is there any other way where I can get this information from?

Best Wishes,
nyr

Post by nyr »

mdalip, I think that N12 may be a bit of a sweet spot for you. The High Barnet branch of the Northern Line serves this area, it's in the catchment for Latymer and DAO and is within 3 miles of HBS. With the current HBS admissions rules if a DD living within 3 miles of the school is ranked within the top 300 after the Round 1 test then she will qualify for the school. Of course the school may tighten up or change this rule once they notice the inevitable abuse.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mdalip, no-one will be at the school today, it's a bank holiday. I suggest that you call when the school returns after Easter.
Dame Alice Owen's is commonly known as DAO.
scary mum
mdalip

Post by mdalip »

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Regarding the catchment rule for HBS, I was under the impression that HBS is completely on merit basis. Am i right in understanding from the messages above that staying within 3 miles radius of the school increase your chances of getting the place provided you score according to the HBS expectations?

DAO rules are very clear regarding the catchment area policies but I still got doubts regarding the latymer and HBS.

Thank you all for your input.

Best Wishes
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

ToadMum wrote:Loobylou, we're not RC or anything else in the religion line, nor anywhere near Finchley. The school sticks in my mind mainly with regard to the way that it appears to flout the School Admissions Code :roll:
Interesting, How does it please?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/434/admissions/year-7

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/h ... ned%5D.pdf

Oversubscription
If the school is oversubscribed, priority for admission will be given to those candidates who meet the criteria set out below, in the following order:

1. A ‘looked after’ child or a child who was ‘previously looked after’ but immediately after being looked after
became subject to an adoption, child arrangements, or special guardianship order, providing that the
candidate is capable of following The Henrietta Barnett School education. A 'looked after child' is a child
who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in
the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in Section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989)
at the time of making an application to a school. In this category, a candidate will be considered to have
the necessary capability if they sit the second round test and are ranked in the top 300 applicants in the
tests. Please provide written evidence if you are responsible for a looked after child. This evidence
must be received by Wednesday 17th July 2019.

2. Candidates who are eligible for Pupil Premium funding, providing that the candidate is capable of following The Henrietta Barnett School education. In this category, a candidate will be considered to have the
necessary capability if they sit the second round test and are ranked in the top 300 applicants in the tests.
Candidates will be considered for a Pupil Premium place only if they provide written confirmation, directly
from their current school, of their Pupil Premium eligibility. This evidence must be received by
Wednesday 17th July 2019. Please note that the School will not contact the current school directly for this
information – the candidate is responsible for ensuring that their current school provides it.

3. Candidates who live within 3 miles of the school at the point when they submit their application to the
Local Authority (statutory walking distance as defined in section 444 of the Education Act 1996), providing
that the candidate is capable of following The Henrietta Barnett School education. In this category, a
candidate will be considered to have the necessary capability if they sit the second round test and are
ranked in the top 300 applicants from Round One.
Distance from the School will be calculated as measured by the London Borough of Barnet. Distance is
measured in a straight line between the address point for the child’s home, supplied by Ordnance Survey,
to the school’s main entrance on Central Square using the Council’s computerised geographical
information system. Where a child lives normally during the school week with more than one parent at
different addresses, the permanent home address for the purposes of school admissions will be the one
where the child spends the majority of school nights Monday – Friday.

4. All remaining candidates in rank score order.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

HBS will still be admitting children from as far away as Reading or Canterbury, based on high score. They need to restrict the admission area if travelling is to made reasonable.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As HBS has not learnt from the cheating that Watford schools and DAO has suffered from in terms of parents renting a house close to the school and then moving back as soon as they get a place, it really is going to be a free for all.

The rental costs of doing that are far outweighed by the eye watering cost of North London private schools.

DAO and Watford have learnt the hard way and now have policies in place to make sure the families who are actually living locally get the places, not the ones who parachute in and out.

My dd had 4 students in her class alone who got distance spaces and then went back to their real houses before the end of the first term.

As HBS is perceived to be a far greater prize we can assume that even more cheating will go on.

It will be interesting to see the postcode breakdown of Y7 this time next year.

HBS has put nothing at all in place to make sure that those applicants "living" within 3 miles really are.

OP, DAO restrictions are for those applying for distance places. For those prepared to sit the exam you just need to be in the catchment before applications close which this year is 19th June for those sitting the exam in September. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hempsteadlad wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Loobylou, we're not RC or anything else in the religion line, nor anywhere near Finchley. The school sticks in my mind mainly with regard to the way that it appears to flout the School Admissions Code :roll:
Interesting, How does it please?
"- These are the oversubscription criteria (i.e. how we allocate places , should there be more than PAN applicants - i.e those who have named the school on their LA CAF and submitted same)
- Number 1 consists of the most highly RC of RC year 6 girls.
- We always find that we fill our places from criterion 1, but if we don't, then others will be invited to sit the test". i.e. to become exam candidates like the girls who would be in criterion 1, should they actually apply.

Until a girl applies for a place, she is not an applicant, cannot contribute to the school being over PAN and therefore cannot have oversubscription criteria used to rank her.