Grammar School Options for Girls near QE boys

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mdalip

Grammar School Options for Girls near QE boys

Post by mdalip »

Hi,

I am looking for some guidance regarding the grammar school for girls near QE boys as my son will be starting qe boys this year sept and we will be moving home so just wanted to see any catchment area rules for the individual grammar school for my daughter who is in year 4 at present.

I have looked at options available but I am very confused so just wanted to check if anyone has gone through similar situation or any tips regarding this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ToadMum

Re: Grammar School Options for Girls near QE boys

Post by ToadMum »

mdalip wrote:Hi,

I am looking for some guidance regarding the grammar school for girls near QE boys as my son will be starting qe boys this year sept and we will be moving home so just wanted to see any catchment area rules for the individual grammar school for my daughter who is in year 4 at present.

I have looked at options available but I am very confused so just wanted to check if anyone has gone through similar situation or any tips regarding this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Latymer? Or HBS, but even there, a priority admissions area is being introduced. I'm sure there are places you can choose to live where your DS can have a reasonable journey to QE and your DD be in catchment for one of the partially selective comprehensive schools in Hertfordshire, though. Or are you a Roman Catholic family, in which case, she could try for St.Michaels Catholic Grammar in Finchley?

Colchester County High School for Girls currently still admits entirely on score in the CSSE test and people do apparently manage to send their DDs there from the kind of geographical area from where their DSs have an equally tiring journey to and from QE, but seriously, no...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Hi.
The only girls' grammar school near enough to QE boys would be Henrietta Barnett school.
There is also Latymer School which is a mixed grammar school (check the website for post codes where you can get admission) and Dame Alice Owens which is a mixed semi selective (again check the postcodes on the admissions page; it's very clear).
There's also Mill Hill county which has a few selective places and no catchment.
It would be fairly easy to find a house where your dd could sit both Latymer and DAO and where your DS could get to QE and your dd get to HBS or MHCHS should she get a place there.
But it's also important to consider the non selective options. There are lots of families where one child gets a selective place and siblings do not. QE Girls is doing very well results-wise at the moment and has a good reputation currently; I'm assuming you'd be happy with a single sex option as your ds is going to QEB. The catchment area is shrinking though so you'd probably need to be looking in High or New Barnet to be confident of a place (which would also meet the criteria to sit for the other schools mentioned).
I'm not really sure which other comprehensives are popular/doing well at the moment. Ashmole, Compton and Fortismere always seem popular but have tiny catchments - there's nowhere you could be in with a chance of 2 of them. I know a number of families happy with Southgate and East Barnet as well.

ETA sorry cross posted with Toadmum! I forgot about St Michael's because I'm not Catholic so it's never on my radar!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The local state selective options, HBS, Latymer and DAO, require standard format Comprehension and creative writing which QE boys does not require so there is more to prepare for.

There are many boys in QE boys who have sisters in HBS, Latymer and DAO.

If you move to an area of Barnet, Herts or Enfield that is in the DAO and Latymer catchment you will have three excellent selective options for your dd not to mention good state schools such as Ashmole, QE girls etc. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Loobylou, we're not RC or anything else in the religion line, nor anywhere near Finchley. The school sticks in my mind mainly with regard to the way that it appears to flout the School Admissions Code :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Deleted as DG has corrected her above post.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdalip

Post by mdalip »

Thanks all for your replies and for the information , it is very helpful and has provided me with a lot more options than what I got with my own research.

I am not catholic so no chance for my daughter to be eligible for a place at St.Michaels Catholic Grammar.

Another question, Where can I check the school report and how school has performed in the recent years, is there any link that anyone can guide me to?

Best Wishes,
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mdalip wrote:Thanks all for your replies and for the information , it is very helpful and has provided me with a lot more options than what I got with my own research.

I am not catholic so no chance for my daughter to be eligible for a place at St.Michaels Catholic Grammar.

Another question, Where can I check the school report and how school has performed in the recent years, is there any link that anyone can guide me to?

Best Wishes,
Try here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... rovisional

Scroll down a bit and you'll see the Statistics: GCSEs (key stage 4) and Statistics: performance tables links.
mdalip

Post by mdalip »

thank you ToadMum
mdalip

Post by mdalip »

Hi,

Is there any catchment or priority area for colchester county girls? I could not find anything on their website.

thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now