Independent Schools Selection Criteria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mdalip

Independent Schools Selection Criteria

Post by mdalip »

Hi All,

I am trying to get some information about the independent schools selection criteria and how does the whole process works? Lets say if a child gets a place in an independent school then is there any type of scholarship that the child gets or any discount in the school fee? Is there any catchment rule criteria that applies with independent schools as well.

My knowledge is completely blank in this area so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in Anticipation.
hermanmunster

Re: Independent Schools Selection Criteria

Post by hermanmunster »

Independent schools don't tend to have catchments (they are often very keen to fill places and wouldn't want to put people off) but many will also advise people not to commute too far - they are even more keen to do this if day / weekly boarding is available there.

re scholarships / bursaries etc - all vary, some offer discounts if you have several children there, some discount if you pay fees for several years ahead. There are bursaries and scholarships for children who do well in exams - the number and value depends on how much the school has in its funds. Scholarships do tend to be small and not means tested, while bursaries can be large and will be dependent on your income and assets.

Which schools are you looking at?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Independent schools do not have catchment criteria, they are businesses who want to fill all the places.

There are scholarships and bursaries - a scholarship is based on entrance exam results and may b a small discount on the fees & may be dependent on continued good academic performance. A bursary is based on household income/assets and often entrance exams too, and will be reasessed every year.

Every school will be different but will have details on their website, or you should contact the bursar.

(Cross post with hermanmunster)

PS please let us know if you would like this moved to the Independent Schools section
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In North London private schools have a lot of competition so they use scholarships to try and buy the top candidates.

Students who have prepared for the state selectives do very well out of this. DG
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Hmm not strictly true DAOGroupie - that's really school dependent. Lots of private schools are no longer offering scholarships of much monetary value in favour of upping their bursary pot.

City Boys, for example, used to offer generous academic scholarships, now they're much more nominal. Highgate offers no scholarships at y7, UCS and NLCS only music scholarships, City Girls don't offer academic scholarships etc. General rule of thumb is that the more academic the school, the less likely they are to offer academic scholarships with much financial benefit.

I think the trend is definitely to attach less and less financial value to scholarships if they're offered at all so I don't think anybody should be applying with this as a tactic.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed MrsChips - there are now many scholars in name alone. Independent schools are aware of the government push to widen participation (and are trying to jump before they are pushed) and are offering more bursaries than scholarships. They also have to meet the requirements of the Charities Commission (one day I will remember the current name for this!) which limits maximum scholarship amounts and also favours busaries.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Yes, in this part of London and the surrounding area the reasonably generous academic scholarships - limited to 50% - tend to be from the lower tiered schools. I get the impression that schools in the south, such as those supported by the Whitgift Foundation, are still generous with academic scholarships, but then again those schools are probably not in the same league as NLCS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now