DAO-Children disciplined and expelled during GCSE

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
llhj

Re: DAO-Children disciplined and expelled during GCSE

Post by llhj »

No comments on hair dye but just to say I completely agree with @kenyancowgirl about politicians and all other experts/critics etc spending a fortnight in a school before making any statements or decisions about education.
Choco

Post by Choco »

Yes, fair point that the school won't be able to comment on an individual case. However, if something has become a rumour that has worried a prospective parent, although a school won't be able to comment on a specific case, they should be able to answer general questions about whether they have certain policies in place and general questions about discipline, so that a prospective parent can get more of a feel for if a school fits with their own ethos or not.

The thing is, although lots of parents hear partial stories about incidents within schools and form opinions, most don't approach the school. Most of these parents don't take too much notice of these stories or recognise that things are probably more complex than they appear, but a few take on very strong opinions in either support or defence of the school, based on limited facts. Actually, although they might be quite vocal in voicing these views and suggesting action they might take, in reality, most people don't take any action and so their extreme views can largely he ignored and given a day or two, those with the strong opinions have themselves forgotton all about it themselves.

I think that's my final thought. DAO is a fine school and the limited information on this so-called story wouldn't put me off choosing it, but each to their own.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

We happened to know the full story of why a girl was excluded from a school a few years back.
We also knew friends of the parents.
What they were telling their friends was vastly different to what actually happened.
I never commented when people asked me if I knew anything about it.
I think some parents will play down what their child has done.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now