Questions on preparing for QE entrance exam

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

QE Dad

Bow to the experts

Post by QE Dad »

I stand corrected by the expert, Patricia. As a parent I can only tell you what worked for our family.

If this assertion is true then whatever paper you buy you will waste a good proportion of your time and money doing and buying questions that your child does not need.

All this is departing from what I perceived as the crux of the verbal reasoning tests at the time. That is irrespective of the variant types of questions, as long as you have covered the 15 relevant techniques in detail with your child the crux is the strength of the vocabulary. In my experience I would estimate that 70-80% of the battle is the vocabulary, with the balance made of question type techniques and exam techniques.

Perhaps the experts will disagree with this too however I can only reflect and share my own experience which brought the right result for my son.

I and other QE parents share our experience with this site at the behest of the founder who is also a parent of a QE child.

QED
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear QE DAD

Perhaps I am imagining it, but you seem to have taken offence to my post, it was certainly not intended.I was just pointing out that AE and dynamite also cover more than the 15 NFER types.

I am only an 'expert' for Bucks! That's why I said IF QE use the standard 15, then the only papers I know that replicate NFER is in fact NFER themselves.

I have moaned so many times re children of Bucks being taught incorrect material, especially when we know the DEFINITE types ] and that's why I post to stop parents being misinformed.

However as you are a parent and not a tutor you have done what is best for your child, you were not to know that some of the material you were purchasing was irrelevant [ IF the standard 15 NFER is used for QE that is] it's a shame that more tutors in your area have not come clean. NFER publish the tests for our children and yet most of the publishers on the market DO NOT resemble the real thing in terms of content.

Agree TOTALLY re vocab.I have harped on this time and time again, codes and maths [ VR maths ] can be mastered, vocab seen out of context is another matter.

I spend a lot of time with my students trying to increase their vocab knowledge.

Patricia

PS.....I am writing papers for Bucks, perhaps I should write some just to include the bog standard 15
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now