Questions on preparing for QE entrance exam

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Our son is in year 5 and we are helping him prepare for this year's QE entrance exam. Some people told us that we would have to get him study ahead and first complete the maths and English curriculum set for year 6 as those contents would appear in the exam. I would like to know if this is the case. Can somebody please tell me whether he really needs to master all the contents set for year 6? By the time of the entrance exam, year 6 would have started only for about 3 months, a lot of the year 6 contents haven't been convered in schools yet. Will the QE exam contain the contents which haven't been learned by pupils at that time? Are there real benefits in finishing the year 6 contents before moving to doing test papers?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ian
nshan

QE Entrance Exam

Post by nshan »

HI Ian

My son is in Year 5 as well. I am preparing him QE as well. !11+ tutor told me not to give any papers before he complete the syllabus(year 6, Specially maths). I hope this helps
Nshan
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nshan,

Thank you very much for the information. What books do you use for Yr 6's maths and English?

Ian
nshan

Post by nshan »

English we are using Hayden Richard revise wise . ( with answers)If you need a isbn no let me know. Maths He is using Mental aithmetic book4,(finished) started book 5. (this book you can buy in Libraries scohofield) mean time GCSE maths book covering the syllabus. (not all the syllabus)
Also he is doing Bond assessment books( 10-11 yrs. 10- 11 +) I hope this helps :)
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Hi, there,

Here's the list offered by Patrica in Buckshire part,
Ips...techniques, starter series, extra practice questions, 10 tests. daily practice tests books 1 and 2

AFN...tests 1 - 8 multiple choice

AE books 1 and 2 verbal reasoning

Susan Daughtrey...Bright Sparks [ DO NOT buy her books 1 - 7 they are mostly irrelevant for Bucks ]

E Papers [ on this site ] The tutors [ Mike Edwards ]...ensure you get 1 - 6 with the letter B at the end

Nfer

Does anybody know if it is also suitable for preparing QE boys' ? and how about the type HIKNOS, did these types appear in the examination?
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Hi,

QE examinations are in verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, mathematics and English.

Usually there are two sittings, December and January.

In the first sitting traditionally the verbal and non-verbal reasoning examinations are sat; in the second the balance, English and maths.

The second sitting is subject to sucess at the first sitting and is by invitation only.

All the papers are written by NFER. NFER sets different verbal reasoning papers for different areas.

For instance QE is in Hertfordshire and does 15 types of verbal reasoning questions, but next door in Bucks they do 21 types of questions. One of the main reasons for a slightly more challenging verbal reasoning in Bucks is that they only do verbal reasoning, whereas schools like QE do four different examinations.

The six additional types are referred to as "HIKNOS" in Bucks contain Opposite Meaning, Complete the Sum, Related Numbers, Word-Number Codes, Complete the Word and Same Meaning types of verbal reasoning questions.

The practice papers recommended in the Bucks section therefore is useful to an extent but be aware that approximately one third of the practice papers by IPS, AFN, Susan Daughtery and The Tutors will be irrelevant to the QE verbal reasoning exam.

A more relevant list would be publishers like NFER, Dynamite and AE.

QED
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Ian,

NFER papers in Maths (as well as most practice papers) contain question types/syllabus that your son probably has not yet covered (e.g. basic algebra) and indeed may not cover until the first term of year 6.

Therefore the advice not to embark on maths practice papers, but cover the syllabus first, is sound.

It is also one of the main reasons I expect why schools that set all four exams, like QE, tend to do maths in the second sitting. This way every child has more of a chance of having covered the syllabus.

QED
QE Dad

Post by QE Dad »

Ian,

With regard to English preparation, there are a couple of invaluable publications that you should invest in:

11 plus English: A Parent's Toolkit by Katherine Hamlyn (isbn 0953265935)

and

The New First Aid In English - Second Edition (isbn 0340882875 + answer book isbn 0340882883).

Both the above are in the bookshop of this website.

The Bond Assessment Books referred to in this section are also very good practice but not enough on its own.

Collectively these will more than adequately prepare your son for QE examinations.

QED
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear QE DAD

Have to slightly disagree with your verbal reasoning post.

If QE use the standard NFER 15 types then AE and Dynamite would also be irrelevant.

AE has the 21 types used for Bucks and Wirral

Dynamite. I only have book 5 in my possession...however that book does include HIKN [OS not included but could be in other books, unsure] They also include various other types which are not applicable to the 15 used by NFER eg words swapping within a sentence,different types of codes, plus at least 3 other types.

So, if QE follow the 15, I am only aware of NFER using the exact types.

The only way round this would be to use the Bucks/Wirral publishers, crossing out all HIKNOS types and adjusting the time to take the test pro rata.

Patricia
NL3

Post by NL3 »

Hi
Any recommendations for 10 minute/daily tests suitable for QEB prep.
Thanks
m