Music aptitude Ashmole - how far down rankings?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hickorydickory

Music aptitude Ashmole - how far down rankings?

Post by Hickorydickory »

Hi, my DD has a ranking from Ashmole although she is not in the top 20, does anyone know how far they have gone down the rankings in the past?

I would also like to know if anyone knows anything about the criteria for the auditions. I'm interested as my DD had a far better result at the other schools she sat the music auditions for and I wondered if certain schools had different criteria. She also got a very high mark for the written aptitude test for Ashmole, just to add to the confusion. Is this not taken into account?

Thanks
Italian

Re: Music aptitude Ashmole - how far down rankings?

Post by Italian »

My DS had a ranking of 48 and got offered a place in June. We didn't take it as we had a place at another school. Not sure what's the ranking for your DD, but when it was allocation day, my DS was sixth on waiting list. And as far as I know they don't take into account the aptitude written test. Hope this helps.
Hickorydickory

Post by Hickorydickory »

Hi, thanks very much for this - it's very helpful as I had no idea what to expect - I definitely didn't expect offers to get to 48. She is no. 38.

How do you manage to wait until June to get the place? can you hold off school offers until then? I hadn't realised.

Also, on allocation day in March, when you were 6th on the waiting list - what happened to the others higher up on the list? that's a big leap from 48 to 6th. Had you put Ashmole down as your first choice? I'm just trying to get my head round it all.

My DD has a very good chance to get into Mill hill on music, so it's really deciding between the two at the moment.

Thanks so much for your reply.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You don't 'hold off' offers - on March 1st you are allocated one school, which may be one of your stated preferences, or (usually if you haven't been totally realistic in those preferences) the nearest school with a place to offer. Unless you have decided to home educate or send your DC to an independent school, you accept the place offered and inn the meantime, your DC's name goes on the waiting list for all the schools above the one that you were offered.

Waiting lists are held in strict order of the school's oversubscription criteria, not by how long a name has been on the list.

A rank of 48 in an aptitude / ability test can very easily translate into a much more favourable rank on a waiting list, as not all of the 47 above may actually apply to that school (or some may also be eligible for consideration under a higher criterion). As the school must have explained (to comply with the Admissions Code), registering to take an entrance test is not making an application for a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Italian

Post by Italian »

Hickorydickory wrote:Hi, thanks very much for this - it's very helpful as I had no idea what to expect - I definitely didn't expect offers to get to 48. She is no. 38.

How do you manage to wait until June to get the place? can you hold off school offers until then? I hadn't realised.

Also, on allocation day in March, when you were 6th on the waiting list - what happened to the others higher up on the list? that's a big leap from 48 to 6th. Had you put Ashmole down as your first choice? I'm just trying to get my head round it all.

My DD has a very good chance to get into Mill hill on music, so it's really deciding between the two at the moment.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ashmole was our first choice, we ended up with our fourth choice in March, as last year there were record applications. We ended up taking a place at our local independent as my DS passed their exams and interview process. By June he was set to go to this school and Ashmole was much further away, hence why we didn't take place. Wish you and your DD good luck! I think from previous years, even if Ashmole is not given in March, your DD has a very good chance in getting in.
madhatter123

Post by madhatter123 »

Is anyone still waiting for their letter from Ashmole? Apparently they were sent out last Friday, but we’ve still not received it.
katkat

Post by katkat »

I’m just adding to this post as I found it really useful last year when I was researching music at Ashmole!

My son was offered a place at Ashmole on offers day yesterday - he was ranked 38. Hope this helps someone in the future...