SEN support in Latymer/QE/DAO/MHCHS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aspiemum

Re: SEN support in Latymer/QE/DAO/MHCHS

Post by Aspiemum »

I also had a meeting with Latymer Senco yesterday.
She told me about the same but I didn’t feel that she was not welcoming unlike when I visited Dao. She said I wouldn’t find any selective secondary school when a TA in the class would be provided.
They will provide support when needed and also laptop for subjects which requires lots of writing in class. They are used to working with Autistic/Asperger children, although none of them have EHCP plan. She mentioned that my son with EHCP plan will be able to access more support due to the extra funding.
She also had my son’s ranking, which would secure him a firm offer even without taking his special needs into consideration. :)
TDJ

Post by TDJ »

That's reassuring.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Your child with an EHCP is entitled to the value or hours of additional support specified in the EHCP. It is not good enough, just because it is a selective school, to say we don't have the staff. However, your could ask for the money attached to the EHCP to be given to you as personal budget and then, as long as your spend it within LA guidelines, you can provide additional support outside of school. For instance, private SALT. You would have to accept that your child would receive very limited additional support on school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area and I have no idea whether the situation has changed recently, but '121' assistance has definitely been provided at DS2's grammar school to boys in his year - without an EHCP - who have required it, if only on a temporary basis, to help them overcome a specific problem.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Lcwic1

Post by Lcwic1 »

Hi,

I have a son at DAO and another at QE. Older son currently in year 10 at DAO and second son at QE in year 8. I do not know if this will help you, but I would state my opinion on academic challenge at DAO and QE, mainly at year 7.

My son went through the exam route to DAO. He went from a prep school, where they had done quite a lot mainly in maths and he found it quite slow and basic, repeated the same work he did at the prep school. He got used to their teaching and was ok, but I felt he waisted a lot of time mainly in maths. I felt DAO does it gradually as it’s mixed ability and kids do really well at the end. My son enjoys school and has excelled in all areas so far.

My second son, who gets bored easily at the prep school,always wanted to go to QE although he could have gone to DAO with the sibling policy. I too felt he would be bored in year 7 at DAO. He went to QE and was fine with the challenge. There is a big difference at DAO and QE specially in year 7-8. Kids will be challenged at QE and level of work is definitely higher then expected curriculum for the year.

If QE senco stated that they would accommodate your sons needs, it is also positive. We love both schools as they suit our kids as they are boys with very different personalities.

I wish you good luck.
grammarman

Post by grammarman »

Hi. My son is in Y13 and does not have a SEN. However, one of his friends has dyslexia, discalcus, ADHD among other disadvantages. My son did not like him at first because of his behaviour but became friends in Y9. He visited here today with a group of my son’s friends and I couldn’t tell which one he was. My son told me that everyone understood in school that he needed certain interventions and that they are cool with that. The student has 4 Russell Group university offers so far and is waiting on a fifth. He loves QE.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

grammarman wrote:Hi. My son is in Y13 and does not have a SEN. However, one of his friends has dyslexia, discalcus, ADHD among other disadvantages. My son did not like him at first because of his behaviour but became friends in Y9. He visited here today with a group of my son’s friends and I couldn’t tell which one he was. My son told me that everyone understood in school that he needed certain interventions and that they are cool with that. The student has 4 Russell Group university offers so far and is waiting on a fifth. He loves QE.
Thanks for posting this. Lovely to hear
Orangeblossom

Post by Orangeblossom »

Please avoid DAO.

The SENCO is abysmal. Very little knowledge about conditions such as ASD or ADHD.
The headteacher mentioned in an open day in the past, that the school is only for academic children and not for kids with special needs which is major red flag.

The fact that people can be academic and have additional needs is not catered for.

Neuro diversity is not acceptable in this school.

Edited by moderator
Pinkwaterbottle

Post by Pinkwaterbottle »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum so apologies if the information I'm looking for has already been posted.

My son is autistic/ADHD and very cognitively able. He does not have an EHCP but his needs are currently well met through reasonable adjustments and accommodations in his small local primary school.

I have not found the admissions department at QE to be particularly communicative and I'm worrying about the "overwhelm" of the assessment day. I have been informed that he will be accommodated in the assessment the way he is currently accommodated in primary school. Now while this is lovely to hear, I need to know the specifics. Obviously primary schools do not assess children in the same way, do not administer tests with separate answer sheet with teeny bubbles (a nightmare for those with visual perception challenges) to fill in and of course are already known and familiar to the child.

No doubt my son will be given extra time and a small/quiet room to work in for which we are grateful...
The SENDCo and I have also asked that he preview the exam room in advance, meet the invigilator in advance and circle his answers directly on the answer sheet.

Does anyone know if QE is likely to agree to this?
I have contacted them a few times to ask and will continue to follow up, but any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
PWB (My pink water bottle was sitting on my desk when I created this account!)
Pinkwaterbottle

Post by Pinkwaterbottle »

QE has been in touch today and clarified everything!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now