DAO Allocations. Please post results here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amgmum

Re: DAO Allocations. Please post results here

Post by Amgmum »

kitecometa wrote:By the way, the email I received from DAO saying that my DD was now on the waitlist had the wording "[name] will automatically be included on our CI list for consideration up until the end of the summer term"

Does this mean the waitlist will only go until mid-July instead of September?
It's July 2020. It says in the letter that after that you need to make a fresh in year application to be considered for a place from September 2020.

From their website:
Year 6 children who have been unsuccessful in gaining a secondary transfer place will continue to be considered until the end of the summer term preceding their transition to secondary school.  If parents wish their child to be considered for a place beyond this  they will need to make an online In Year application for Year 7 (see above).

Vacancies in Year 7 will be filled in accordance with our published oversubscription criteria as set out in page 2 of our Admission Arrangements.
kitecometa

Post by kitecometa »

Oh well... the chance of getting a place is basically zero anyway, even if she is high on the waiting list so end of summer term is enough
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO will write to those on the waiting list at the end of the summer term to ask if they wish to make an application for the continuing interest list.

It saves them having to make phone calls to those who are no longer interested but have not bothered to take themselves off the waiting list.

On the 22 closest it certainly explains the exact same distance as the last to get in if it is in fact the same house as last year but a younger sibling.

If siblings are taking 22 closest places then that means there are more siblings than are actually listed and that it is not 22 distance places available for new families but 22 distance places less the siblings that are in the houses of previous distance places that are closer!

In theory there could be no new families at all some years if there are 22 siblings that are closer to the school.

Last year I know that the family number one on the waiting list for a distance space got a space after a few weeks but I do not know if it moved again after that. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have checked with some parents I know who were close enough to the school to be allocated a distance place for their eldest dc.

Their siblings were all definitely allocated sibling places and not distance places.

However this could be that there were 22 eldest dc that were closer to the school.

DAO have released their detailed allocations for March 2020.

They have gone over PAN again for the second year in a row to 206.

This time it is because there are 4 EHCPS, 15 looked after children and 1 previously looked after outside England and 84 siblings including two multiple births.

All these could not be met inside the PAN of 200. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:I have checked with some parents I know who were close enough to the school to be allocated a distance place for their eldest dc.

Their siblings were all definitely allocated sibling places and not distance places.

However this could be that there were 22 eldest dc that were closer to the school.

This time it is because there are 4 EHCPS, 15 looked after children and 1 previously looked after outside England and 84 siblings including two multiple births.

No, possibly not - but schools have oversubscription criteria, to be followed in order, until PAN is reached. An exception is where an EHCP is not finalised in time for the DC involved to be included in PAN, in which case that DC has to be admitted but no DC already offered a place would have their place withdrawn to take the figures back down; the school would just start off over PAN an possibly / probably aim to manage the number back down to PAN by not offering put again unless or until numbers fell below again.

Stopping offers part way down the ranked list within a criterion is what schools normally do, unless e.g. asked by the LA to go over PAN to solve a specific local problem.

Is / are the other secondary school(s) in the area also at over PAN for 2020?

Looking at the admissions policy for DAO, siblings come above music, academic, children of staff and the second distance category, so if all the siblings took the school to PAN with some still waiting, there should have been no places at all allocated under any lower criterion, with criterion 8 being the first to take the hit. That's the way oversubscription criteria work.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Queenbee01

Post by Queenbee01 »

ToadMum wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:I have checked with some parents I know who were close enough to the school to be allocated a distance place for their eldest dc.

If they have already gone PAn 206, does it mean this time the waiting list will not go further. Last year 103 were offered a place on allocation day and then the lat child to get was 123.

One of my friend was saying this year it might go to 20 places?

Thanks

No, possibly not - but schools have oversubscription criteria, to be followed in order, until PAN is reached. An exception is where an EHCP is not finalised in time for the DC involved to be included in PAN, in which case that DC has to be admitted but no DC already offered a place would have their place withdrawn to take the figures back down; the school would just start off over PAN an possibly / probably aim to manage the number back down to PAN by not offering put again unless or until numbers fell below again.

Stopping offers part way down the ranked list within a criterion is what schools normally do, unless e.g. asked by the LA to go over PAN to solve a specific local problem.

Is / are the other secondary school(s) in the area also at over PAN for 2020?

Looking at the admissions policy for DAO, siblings come above music, academic, children of staff and the second distance category, so if all the siblings took the school to PAN with some still waiting, there should have been no places at all allocated under any lower criterion, with criterion 8 being the first to take the hit. That's the way oversubscription criteria work.
Queenbee01

Post by Queenbee01 »

If they have already gone PAN 206, does it mean this time the waiting list will not go further. Last year 103 were offered a place on allocation day and then the last rank to get an offer was 123.

One of my friend was saying this year it might go to 20 more places, making it to 130?

Thanks
Last edited by Queenbee01 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

They still have to offer the 65 academic places, 10 music places, 22 distance places etc.
So if someone currently holding one of those places costs not to take it then the waiting list will move.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It is "not more than 10" music places (category 5) and "up to 65 children selected by academic ability" (category 6). So if there was an unusual year of siblings (category 4) taking the admitted number to PAN, they wouldn't get to the music or academic places.

Obviously in every usual year there wouldn't be nearly enough siblings plus closest 22 to reach PAN, which is why they can also offer the 10 music places and the 65 academic places and still make offers to the "any other children" category (category 8).

On DAOGroupie's point, how would the parents know whether they have a distance or academic place? When my child was allocated a place at a partially selective, all I was told was that she was in, not which category she'd been admitted under.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They do not have to continue once they have reached PAN.

They have not reached Critieria 8 for a couple of years now.

However they choose to go over PAN and carry on down the criteria.

So music, distance and academic places will be filled from the waiting lists if they are handed back.

As yesterday was the deadline for accepting private schools it is likely that some academic places have been handed back which will be reallocated from the waiting list.

It won't go 20 more actual places but there are ranks missing so the rank it reaches will appear as if more places are coming up than actually are.

Anyone on the waiting list is in the hands of other families and what their decisions are.
DG