Good luck to all dcs sitting DAO today

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kunalj

Re: Good luck to all dcs sitting DAO today

Post by kunalj »

lastminmum wrote:Good luck to all the dc who sat the exam yesterday and to all those sitting today.
My dd is one of the student helpers. She says the list for yesterday and today is for 998 candidates. This seems less than other years and may increase the chances of getting in.
I must add this too; dd said she was shocked by the poor behaviour of some parents eg not following the one way system or ignoring instructions for which cone to stand by. She also mentioned that a parent had said their son had failed to get into QEB and had to do well in the Owens exam even though it was the ‘lesser‘ of the schools!!

I think statements like it was the ‘lesser‘ of the schools!! .. shows the ignorance of an individual.

Apart from excellence in sports, music, arts and studies; comprehensives like DAO and Parmiter's are treated as feeder school for Oxbridge, which says something is so special about them.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are there feeder schools for Oxbridge?
mad?

Post by mad? »

tiffinboys wrote:Are there feeder schools for Oxbridge?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My DC was also a student helper this weekend and said exactly the same thing - she said the children were lovely but some of the parents were just awful, ignoring all instructions and being quite aggressive in their behaviour.
(And no Oxbridge does not have feeder schools!)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My DC was also a student helper this weekend and said exactly the same thing - she said the children were lovely but some of the parents were just awful, ignoring all instructions and being quite aggressive in their behaviour.
(And no Oxbridge does not have feeder schools!)
kunalj

Post by kunalj »

mad? wrote:
feeder school in diff context

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-37085904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.cityam.com/named-elite-stat ... ge-feeder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pl1688

Post by Pl1688 »

mad? wrote:
Westminster had historical links to Christ Church & Trinity College (for the "Scholars"). One could argue that given it still sends 70-80 students annually to Oxbridge, it's the de-facto Oxbridge feeder school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Not for much longer. I predict that QE will overtake Westminster in the next few years.

I think in the next five years QE will have them on the ropes. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Daogroupie wrote:Not for much longer. I predict that QE will overtake Westminster in the next few years.

You just made Mr Enright's day, his week, his month, or even his year!
Pl1688

Post by Pl1688 »

Daogroupie wrote:Not for much longer. I predict that QE will overtake Westminster in the next few years.

For that to happen, they'd need to add another intake at 6th form (similar to to how Westminster creams off the best from its peer schools) and improve the composition of it's 11+ intake (it's English Lang/Lit GCSE results way below what it should be). For this reason I feel they should move to a 2nd round standard format English paper rather than simply increasing no. of MC questions allied to decreasing time allowed.

If you analyse the FOI 2019 leavers data, its clear that QE "manages" its leavers uni applications which is how it can claim it's percentage accepted at Oxbridge is higher than Westminster. For this reason, I would not send my DS to QE unless I was highly confident he would be in the top half of his year group especially at 6th form. Its also heavily weighted towards STEM which may work against them for Oxbridge will be reluctant to accept too many students from one single school in one single area.