Where to relocate for QE boys easy commute

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
miller

Re: Where to relocate for QE boys easy commute

Post by miller »

Studying is not the only consideration. What about a healthy social life?
na100681

Post by na100681 »

Hi, my son is in QE and we are not to far from St Michael. We live in North Finchley. My son take one bus for 25 min. My son is in year 8 and commute by himself (there are other kids from QE in the bus with him). He has after school club twice a week. I used to take him when he was in year 7, it took me 15-20 min to go there by car.
The tube (west Finchley) is 10min walk from home.
Hope it helps.
AARDHEE

Post by AARDHEE »

na100681 wrote:Hi, my son is in QE and we are not to far from St Michael. We live in North Finchley. My son take one bus for 25 min. My son is in year 8 and commute by himself (there are other kids from QE in the bus with him). He has after school club twice a week. I used to take him when he was in year 7, it took me 15-20 min to go there by car.
Hope it helps.
Thanks Na100681 ,Indeed ,useful information.
na100681

Post by na100681 »

AARDHEE wrote:
na100681 wrote:Hi, my son is in QE and we are not to far from St Michael. We live in North Finchley. My son take one bus for 25 min. My son is in year 8 and commute by himself (there are other kids from QE in the bus with him). He has after school club twice a week. I used to take him when he was in year 7, it took me 15-20 min to go there by car.
Hope it helps.
Thanks Na100681 ,Indeed ,useful information.

You are welcome!
Sp007

Post by Sp007 »

Would love to hear from parents whose DS goes travels from Borehamwood or Potters Bar please .
Are there many kids who travel from these areas ? Is the journey ok ?
nyr

Post by nyr »

Y13 DS has friends who live in Potters Bar and Borehamwood. Some take public transport and a couple car share from Potters Bar. The bus journeys are around 30 minutes, but one should add extra for getting from home to a bus stop nearby. Since the start of the pandemic a few have switched from using public transport to travelling by car.
Qemum2015

Post by Qemum2015 »

My son commuted home from QE to Potters Bar for the last 5 years. He got the 84 bus from Barnet high street. The bus ride is about 20-30 mins depending on traffic and runs every 20 mins. There were always 4 or 5 other boys from potters bar on the bus and he never had any trouble.

Lots of boys got the bus in the morning but we used to drive for early swimming (and teenager laziness!)

Driving to QE from PB takes 10-15 mins so not too bad if it suits you but also helpful for evening events (concerts, parents evening etc). On the days I was working in London I used to drop at school and then get the tube from High Barnet. (Parking after about 8am at the station was impossible so don’t rely on this if you’re dropping for 8.40!)
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

My friend's son travels from Borehamwood and its a straight bus 34 mins and 10 mins drive.
edited by moderator
AARDHEE

Post by AARDHEE »

Thanks Zoe, QEMUM and NyR, this is quite re-assuring

I had asked earlier also but couldn't get a response ,Are there any areas to avoid in Potters Bar or Borehamwood ?

Not from North London but don't want to believe everything on internet.

Rgds

D
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Both Borehamwood and Potters Bar are relatively small. In both there are more and less "salubrious" areas which you can easily tell just by driving around. The shabbier areas are cheaper than the other areas. However I wouldn't say that there are any "no go" areas in either town.
Borehamwood has a better high street in terms of shops and restaurants. Potters Bar has better transport links (but the buses from Borehamwood to QE will be fine). The secondary schools in both towns (Hertswood and Mt Grace) had relatively poor reputations but I haven't known anyone new attending them for a few years so that might not be up to date.
I would suggest you have to drive around them both and see what you think.