Where to relocate for QE boys easy commute

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Where to relocate for QE boys easy commute

Post by Daogroupie »

Do you have any other children?

You might want to move into DAO catchment and then you will have more choice next time. DG
Sp007

Post by Sp007 »

@Daogroupie no we have only one child .
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sp007 wrote:In any case , we were planning to move from where we are so school is not the only factor. Do you have any suggestions on where to move ?
If QE is your first choice, then move as close to it as possible, then your OH could commute to Stevenage and you to the South of London. Even Brighton is South of London. Good Luck and happy commuting.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Do you have a score in the 230's and above?

I only say this because QE uses the phrase "I am delighted to tell you that your son's score is eligible to apply" from 210 upwards when in reality 224 is the lowest score that has ever secured a place in 8 years and it did not reach 229 this year until September. DG
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It might help if you could offer any other considerations. If travel is the only issue, a flat in Kings Cross is handy for Stevenage, Barnet and South London, but you may not fancy that.
sutom

Post by sutom »

We live in SG1 area and we don't have any grammar school near here so we decided to let him try QE for checking his ability and capability. He took this year exam and got over 240 so we are sure he will get a place in March. As we have another child, we decided not to move until she got a place (I did search and decided to try St Michael's).
I am a house wife so giving him a lift and picking up is not a big problem. It sounds we live very far from the school but it will take min 30 min and max god knows. I think lots of kids who are commuting via public transport or school bus take as long as one hour.
We will try this commute a year or two as long as it works. If not, we also consider to relocate and same time I will be helping him to commute.
I heard that there are more children who are commuting from this area so I am trying to get a contact and check if it fits us. If you know someone from this area, please message me.
This is our plan for next two years.
I hope you find suitable area for you and your family.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So what will be happening to your dd while you are driving between Stevenage and Queens Road Barnet 4 times a day?

Why wouldn't he just get the excellent fast train service from Stevenage to Kings Cross and tube to Barnet?

For your daily commute by car my estimate would be a min of 90 minutes and unless you are going to leave at 6am probably longer.

Every year places come up in Y7 Y8 and Y9 when exhausted QE commuters drop out.

Now HBS has introduced a catchment area which accounted for over 30% of the places this year this problem has been alleviated there.

If you are considering St Ms for your dd Finchley would be a good option for your family. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Daogroupie wrote:So what will be happening to your dd while you are driving between Stevenage and Queens Road Barnet 4 times a day?

If you are considering St Ms for your dd Finchley would be a good option for your family. DG
Drive with mama. Fun time. :wink:
Last edited by tiffinboys on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutom

Post by sutom »

Luckily my hb is working locally so it doesn't causw any problems. Once she gets a play in St michael's, we will move near to both schools. Then my hb will need to commute for next 7 yrs but both kids can concentrate on studying. I don't see a problem.
I mention that I will try this and if not working, we will relocation earlier than next two.
As someone mentioned, earlier move may be better for dd as she will have a chance to sit Dao.
Thanks you all of you picking up problems on my plan.
I may write this forum that you are right next year in September but for now that's our plan and we will try.
AARDHEE

Post by AARDHEE »

thisisnuts wrote:Lots of activities EVERY DAY. Especially if your son is picked for the rugby squad.

School bus from Bushey / Pinner means you'll have to pick up after the activity.

Borehamwood is a short bus ride away on public transport, and there are plenty of QE boys, from year 7 upwards, on the bus.
Hi SP ,Apologies for jumping on tpue post ,but trying to keep one thread
As we also have similar requirement .Is Borehamwood good area as it seems very convenient and affordable ,as have seen mixed reviews ,not familiar with this side of London at all ?Our requirement is to have an affordable place (subjective to everyOne ) close to QE as I don’t need to go to central Londoners will be working mostly in London periphery ?Thanks in advance
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now