Do you like Mill Hill County School or Ashmole Academy?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ceciliaMK

Do you like Mill Hill County School or Ashmole Academy?

Post by ceciliaMK »

In terms of academic, music and social aspects, do you like Mill Hill County School or Ashmole Academy?

Any inputs are much appreciated!

Thanks
Finchley mum

Re: Do you like Mill Hill County School or Ashmole Academy?

Post by Finchley mum »

I have 2 children at Ashmole Academy ( year 11 and year 7). Eldest child went to Habs Girls so I can only compare to that. Thoughts on Ashmole are:

1. It’s academic and there are some super bright kids there. They don’t all stay for sixth form - a lot go on to Woodhouse college and Latimer. Set 1-3 are likely to get 7-9 so no one is too fussed about whether their child is in set 1. As an example, my ds is in set 2 science but predicted to get all 9s in science.

2. It’s not just about the clever kids. The pastoral care is very good and they are really trying to tailor it so all kids do well (feedback from other parents).

3. Music - ds says it’s poor compared to what he can do outside of school (he’s roughly grade 8 violin and piano) so can’t compare to DAO or Mill Hill. But I think that’s because he’s not that fussed about music and probably not up to the standard of the music scholars. Some of them are amazing!

4. Sport - very inclusive. DD not that sporty but in year 7 being given the chance to train and be in netball and football teams so is very happy.

5. Comparison to Habs girls - A more diverse student body at Ashmole and less extra curricular but academically looks to be roughly the same with some so-so teachers and some amazing teachers at both schools. In retrospect, probably not worth the money and there is a major advantage to being in a school the kids can walk to. So many more local friends.

Hope that’s helpful. I imagine Mill Hill parents would say the same. I think there is less to distinguish between these schools than we think.
PBFamily

Post by PBFamily »

Hi all,

Would like to revive this discussion as DS has a good chance to get into either of these school via Music intake.

I have the impression that MHCH WAS the better school but has gone down hill in recent years, whereas Ashmole has improved to rival MHCH? School league tables suggest the two are pretty similar but I'm surprised the slightly more selective intake at MCHC doesn't show in exam results. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not looking at any particular aspect but generally in terms of results, extra curricular, student behaviour, bullying, staff morale etc. DS is easygoing but willing to work hard when pushed.

Perhaps sixth form is better at MHCH?

Personally prefer the less urban location of MHCH but many of the buildings and classrooms that I saw looked very tired and in need of refurbishment.

Any views would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Yes

Post by Yes »

My son is in MHCHS, Y8 now.

He loves the school, a lot of friends.

For me, it seems like a very good comprehensive school, I don't see a huge difference to the good (!) local comp. The music department has really impressed me (but I and my son are not deep into music, so my view could be very amateur!).

I would choose between these two schools based on your location and transport links. For me, Ashmole would be preferable, as it is just 20-25 minutes walk through the park and quiet residential area, but to MHCHS it is a bus ride + walk. We didn't have a chance to choose, as we are out of Ashmole's catchment, my son got his place at MHCHS through the technical aptitude test, it was the only option for him.

The big advantage of MHCHS is no shop in the vicinity of the school :P, you need to walk 15 min till Mill Hill Broadway or to Apex corner to get any snacks, but Ashmole is right near Southgate High street will all possible temptations like McDonald's, KFC, chicken shops, sweets and all possible junk foods. Also, it seems me, Ashmole's children are allowed to go out during breaks, as I saw a lot of Ashmole's students on the High Street around noon.

Also bear in mind, that bus services now are working very weird, my son complains about buses often (but same time for him this is the excuse to be home a bit late and travel via Broadway :D )

All extracurricular activities are on hold now, but music activities go on.

I was not very happy with the school attitude during the lockdown, our friends are in Ark Pioneer and it seems me there was more attention to children. But now school sent us already a few letters that they are introducing a completely new system for distant learning in case of new lockdown or children on self-isolation. Hope we will not need to try this system.

Looks like my hectic message is not very positive about school, it might be because my expectations were too unrealistic; but in reality, we are happy with this option, MHCHS is a very good school.
PBFamily

Post by PBFamily »

Thank you Yes, appreciate your views.

Anyone have thoughts on either of these schools?