DAO Second round results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shnutrux

Re: DAO Second round results

Post by Shnutrux »

Dilemmas wrote:Thanks DAOGroupie. My child ranked 135. Do you expect rankings to reach a similar level to the last 2 years? Or is it possible more parents used this exam for preparation for other exams?
I think exams like Latymer, and QEB where there is one stage, may be more likely to be used for prep. I think with DAO where there are 2 stages and a defined applicant area, it’s perhaps more likely that the kids appearing for Step 2 (and their parents) would be delighted to go there. I guess then it comes down to what other schools the kids get into and where DAO sits in their preference, rather than just using for practice. That’s certainly how we feel, but granted it is a very different year...best of luck!
Shnutrux

Post by Shnutrux »

van1lla wrote:So is this when you show continued interest after accepting your second choice school? A very slim chance of getting in...
You will automatically be entered into the continuing interest list on national offer day, for any school that you ranked higher than the school you were offered, providing you meet the minimum admission criteria. That is my understanding...so as long as you rank in genuine order of preference...relax and the system do the rest.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The DAO exam is usually used for prep for QE boys, ST M's and SW Herts and private exams such as HABS, City, Highgate and St Albans. Last year 58 students in the ranking between 1 and 123 either ranked another school higher or didn't apply for the school or turned down the place which took the ranks down to 123 by the end of August.

For the past twenty years the ranks have always gone past rank 100 by allocation day on 1st March. 1st March 2020 the ranks reached 114 on allocation day. Also the ranks have reached the 120's, 120 in 2015 has been smallest drop in ranking in recent years.

However this year some of these exams were actually before DAO so things have been different. If not so many have used DAO as a mock this year then there will be an impact on rankings and I would advise taking this into consideration.

If the ranking of your dc is between 66 and 123 your dc would have got a place last year but you need to remember that as always you are reliant on other families turning the places down and causing movement down the rankings.

I would recommend you put DAO first if it is your first choice and if the rankings do not reach your rank on March 1st 2021 you will be able to sit with your second choice while waiting to see if a place comes up.

Do not however rank any other school above DAO if DAO is your first choice as your council will take that as your first choice and if you get it then they will turn down any DAO offer on your behalf. DG
van1lla

Post by van1lla »

Thanks DAOGroupie and Shnutrux. That has been very helpful :)
Well done to everyone who managed to get a place.
zubi11+

Post by zubi11+ »

Hi, my DD got a rank of 118 does that mean she will definitely get a place based on last years info ?

I want to amend my CAF form preference accordingly.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Not definitely at all but she would have got a place last year on rank 118.

If DAO would be your first choice then put it first and, if it is like last year,you will be offered a place at some point.

Last year 119 only had to wait around a month but 123 took until mid August. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orangeblossom

Post by Orangeblossom »

Have been told that rankings may not even go to 95 this year and more children than before will be on the waiting list in March. A much larger proportion of those in the top 65 will choose DAO. Concerned.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Who has told you that?

Who could possibly know what all the 65 are going to do and which other schools they have also secured and what preference they have given DAO on their CAF form?

I know 10 of them (which is 15%) and I would not make that comment. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
aks

Post by aks »

It should be more or less same as has been previous few years, around 115-120 rank on allocation day. My DD is within 65 rank but we have put HBS as first priority on CAF, if offered a place.
Shnutrux

Post by Shnutrux »

Well done to everyone

Would agree, there will definitely be movement in the rankings this year. Whether more or less than previous years is probably hard to say yet. From the info above, seems no reason to think it won’t be similar. My DC also ranked in the top 65, and we have ranked another school first on the CAF. Definitely rank based on genuine preference. Fingers crossed for everyone and all the best.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now