DAO or Latymer

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pkaboo

Re: DAO or Latymer

Post by Pkaboo »

Great that you can choose between Latymer and Dao. Roughly, where is your dd placed in the ranking? It would be nice for those lower ranked to know.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Pkaboo wrote:Great that you can choose between Latymer and Dao. Roughly, where is your dd placed in the ranking? It would be nice for those lower ranked to know.
But choose only in the sense of making the decision as to which to place above the other in one's ranking on the CAF. No more choices to make, once that is done, because only the one offer is made. But yes, fortunate for the DC to be living somewhere which is in the priority admissions area for both schools and that they have done well enough in both entrance exams for both to be a realistic preference to express :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
zubi11+

Post by zubi11+ »

My DD is now in top 220 for Latymer and her DA0 ranking is 118. Based on the past few years ranking, it looks like there might be a wait time for DAO offer

Good to get the feedback about both the schools , I think now I just need to wait and see.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

zubi11+ wrote:My DD is now in top 220 for Latymer and her DA0 ranking is 118. Based on the past few years ranking, it looks like there might be a wait time for DAO offer

Good to get the feedback about both the schools , I think now I just need to wait and see.
So, have you put one of them first and the other second, but would now prefer them the other way round? Because however many of the preference preferences you expressed on your CAF would result in an offer when the application is considered (by each school separately, with no knowledge of your other preferences), once the responses are collated by your home LA, you only get one offer - from the 'yes' school which you listed in the highest place on the form. You won't get offered both DAO and Latymer and get to pick your favourite; if your DD qualifies for both, the place you get is the oneat the one you ranked above the other.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pn8572

Post by pn8572 »

zubi11+ wrote:My DD is now in top 220 for Latymer and her DA0 ranking is 118. Based on the past few years ranking, it looks like there might be a wait time for DAO offer

Good to get the feedback about both the schools, I think now I just need to wait and see.
If you have placed Latymer as 1st preference, then with the revised rank being on top 220, most likely you will be offered on March 1st with Latymer and all other preferences will be discarded. This is just my guess. I would assume that many kids on top 220 might not have Latymer as 1st preferences. (HBS, QE, DAO (many prefer over Latymer due to sibling), and many independent schools)
Some council will allow being on the continuous interest waiting list though. You may have to check with local LA.

If you place DAO as 1st then, you may have a chance to chose between DAO and Latymer ( again assuming that DAO offer might not happen in 1st round).
Either way, congratulation to your DD on securing a higher rank and best of luck.
PP
zubi11+

Post by zubi11+ »

Thank you :)
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm glad that is settled for you now zubi11+. Now, in the spirit of the forum, might you answer the questions that those who have helped you have asked? This may help other posters who may be similarly confused.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you placed Latymer first then you are more likely to get it than if you placed DAO first as there are 192 places available at Latymer compared to 65 at DAO. With a rank of 220 you only need 28 of those who are ranked higher than you to have ranked Latymer lower than a school on their CAF that they are offered and the rankings will then reach you and she will be offered a place.

You will need 53 of those ranked higher than 118 at DAO to have ranked DAO lower than a school on their CAF that they are offered for your dd to be offered DAO on allocation day. You will also need to have ranked DAO higher than Latymer on your CAF form.

You will not be offered both schools but if Latymer is your second choice and you are offered it you will remain on the waiting list for DAO and will be offered a place if the ranks reach 118 which they have always done. It has always reached 220 which was the last rank offered a place in May 2015. Last year it reached 114 on allocation day and finally 124 (which was a total mark of 323) in late August.

I am guessing you placed Latymer first in which case you are very likely to get your first choice on allocation day which will mean DAO rank 118 will be removed from the list of those waiting for a place.

Your dd will do equally well at either school.

Just 24 days left now until we discover what rankings these schools have reached this year. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now