Help Pls! Habs or MTS?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ACupofTea

Help Pls! Habs or MTS?

Post by ACupofTea »

I was wondering whether anyone could please offer any thoughts / experience regarding Habs Boys and MTS and also the pro and cons of moving school at 11+ rather than 13+.

Background: DS has the option (i.e. actual offers) of moving to Habs at 11 (or 13) or MTS at 13. We (and he) like both schools and are all very conflicted. I am told that if he moves to Habs at 11+ he will benefit from 2 years of advanced exposure to most of the GCSE subjects the kids will need to choose from in year 9. That seems a great opportunity, particularly for someone like our DS who is good academically but takes a little time to adjust to big changes. On the other hand, we think it would be great for him to stay at his school until 13+ as we think his overall character (he can be quite sensitive) would benefit from being one of the older boys at a school he loves (and where he has a scholarship).

Habs is a little closer to us but I do wonder how good truly is their pastoral care. DS is very good academically (never been tutored) but he's not just about academics (plays sport at county level). Having taken a look at the Habs' curriculum online, it seems to me that from year 9 sport is not payed as much, to leave more time for the academics / exams preparation. That seems sensible to some extent but I would not want DS to feel the pressure that "his life is just about academics".

I would be very grateful for any thoughts you may have, both regarding the schools (particularly Habs under the new headmaster) and MTS and / or the move at 11 rather than 13. Many thanks in advance!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now