QE BOYS lowest score to secure a place on Monday 1st March

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mptmum

Re: QE BOYS lowest score to secure a place on Monday 1st Mar

Post by mptmum »

I'm a bit confused about number of offers made by the school.

1) Are offers made via school or councils?

2) Are 192 offers made using rank order if boys who have put QE as 1st choice, or are more than 192 offers made to take into account any rejections?

I am a little confused as there was mention of 250 offers from QE on allocation day...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mptmum wrote:I'm a bit confused about number of offers made by the school.

2) Are 192 offers made using rank order if boys who have put QE as 1st choice, or are more than 192 offers made to take into account any rejections?

I am a little confused as there was mention of 250 offers from QE on allocation day...
To comply with the Admissions Code (and yes, much as it obviously is a sore trial to some of them, this legal document does apply to North London grammar schools as well as to everyone else), the single offer of a school place must be made via the applicant's home LA on national offer day. Shools are barred from contacting parents in advance of the offer being made.

Places are allocated by the school according to how the applicants on the list collated by the school's maintaining LA are ranked against the school's admissions criteria, with anyone on the list who can be offered a higher preference school then being removed. The school does not know where it was ranked on an individual applicant's CAF at the ranking stage. Someone might be 1st on the school's list, but only placed the school sixth on their CAF- if they can't be given a place at their first 5 preferences, they will get the place. On the other hand, someone might rank the school as their first preference, but the school ranks them 500th and they won't get a place.

As for such an enormous number over PAN being offered places on Monday, no idea. Since all those boys would have to be accommodated if none turned the place down, it would seem very unlikely, given the school's apparent perpetual moaning about lack of space. There would seem to be little reason for Barnet to have asked the school to take a bulge class (or several?), given the relatively low number of local boys in the usual intake. Has there been a lot of building work on site recently, though?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mptmum

Post by mptmum »

No expansion as far as I am aware.
I was surprised when I heard that more offers than places are made - doesn't make sense as there are only 192 (or 180) places available.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mptmum wrote:No expansion as far as I am aware.
I was surprised when I heard that more offers than places are made - doesn't make sense as there are only 192 (or 180) places available.
There will always be people who turn down places in favour of other schools - either private or another school that they had higher up their list of preferences & get offered it later on, so all schools over offer, but I would be surprised if it was as many as 250.
scary mum
nyr

Post by nyr »

The September 2021 entry results spreadsheet shows that candidates with a score of 235 were ranked between 244 and 256. We also know that some candidates with 235 were offered a place and some are high on the waiting list. The ~250 number that you heard from the school refers to the test results rank of the last candidate offered a place on 1st March, as about 60 students either didn't apply at all or qualified for a school they listed higher on their CAF.

Was the number exactly 250 or thereabouts?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Keep up nyr!

There is only one 235 on the waiting list and that is at number 1. The rest are 234 and down and there are 30 234s on the waiting list some of whom may turn it down. They may have already accepted private school offers or decided to stay with a lower choice.

No state school makes more offers than places unless they go over PAN

Where did you hear this 250 figure?

Perhaps it was saying that the ranks they needed to go down to in order to fill the places was more than 250.

No school can just decide to offer more places.

DAO have gone over PAN in the past because of more siblings or looked after children than usual so they put on an extra class and go over PAN.

But QE are not suddenly going to find classrooms to put 58 more boys in.

The offers do not just go to boys who put it first. The places go to boys for whom it was either first or the highest ranked school to offer them a place.

Last year a dc I know of put DAO 1st and QE 2nd. They got offered QE first as their DAO rank was not high enough for a place on March 1st. QE then chased them for months, from March to August to buy the uniform but they held off.

Finally the DAO ranks reached them in late August and they received a DAO offer. They were given a few days to decide and turned down the QE place and took DAO. That QE place would then have been offered to the next ds on the waiting list. DG

DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptmum

Post by mptmum »

Yes DG. That's exactly what it is - the ranking position they've got to. Not actual offer.
nyr

Post by nyr »

My response was to this post and a few others after this and an attempt to explain that the number 250 was not the school going over PAN.

Perhaps you can forgive my inability to keep up and point me to the relevant data but, as far as I'm aware, we don't know that the student at test rank 256 is the one at WL position 1. Nor do we know that WL position 2 or 31 have a score of 234 and we don't know that all 30 candidates who scored 234 are on the waiting list. As we can infer from your post, it's conceivable that some didn't apply to QE or have already been offered a school (such as DOA) listed higher on their CAF.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

To clarify (hopefully!)
- Private schools can and do offer more than the number of places available
- state school allocations cannot exceed the number of places available.

An allocation to rank 250 does not mean there were 250 offers.
As nyr stated, it means that out of the top 250 boys in the exam, approximately 60 had other preferences.
dhanepud

Post by dhanepud »

apologies for silly question,
I read 235 marks obtained is the last to get selected. what is the total marks (or maximum marks) of the exam for each subject ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now