HBS Waiting List

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
flojo1234

HBS Waiting List

Post by flojo1234 »

Hello, can anyone experienced please explain- we did not get our first choice HBS but wanted to know how far we are on the waiting list? Will HBS let us know our ranking? Can they release scores at this stage?
Enfparents

Re: HBS Waiting List

Post by Enfparents »

flojo1234 wrote:Hello, can anyone experienced please explain- we did not get our first choice HBS but wanted to know how far we are on the waiting list? Will HBS let us know our ranking? Can they release scores at this stage?
HBS said that for those who are 'high up' on the waiting list, they will be contacted by the school - not clear how 'high up' is defined but all candidates will be placed on the waiting list if necessary and maybe worth giving them a call in a couple of days if you haven't heard.
flojo1234

Post by flojo1234 »

Thank you - I might just pop an email to find out. However the email from my local authority has said,

''Unfortunately, we could not offer your child a place at any of the schools that were listed as a higher preference on your application form. For each of these schools there were more applications than places available, and other applicants had a higher priority than your child under the school’s published admission criteria.''

Do I take it as I still do have a chance at my first preference school if my daughter is 'high' up on the waiting list? And if I accept the the current school offer (2nd choice), would this jeopardize my position at my first preference?

Thank you for your help!
Enfparents

Post by Enfparents »

flojo1234 wrote:Thank you - I might just pop an email to find out. However the email from my local authority has said,

''Unfortunately, we could not offer your child a place at any of the schools that were listed as a higher preference on your application form. For each of these schools there were more applications than places available, and other applicants had a higher priority than your child under the school’s published admission criteria.''

Do I take it as I still do have a chance at my first preference school if my daughter is 'high' up on the waiting list? And if I accept the the current school offer (2nd choice), would this jeopardize my position at my first preference?

Thank you for your help!
Well - first of all there is no harm in waiting until closer to the acceptance deadline until you officially accept (for our LA this is 15th March so gives a couple of weeks), by which point your position might become clearer.

But also, I believe that even when you accept your 2nd choice, you still stay on the waiting list for your 1st choice until you ask to be removed. But please double check this last point before confirming your acceptance because I could be wrong!

Good luck!
pn8572

Post by pn8572 »

I accept the current school offer (2nd choice), would this jeopardize my position at my first preference?
If you accept a lower preference, it will not affect your top choices. When a seat is available from the top choice(s) schools and if you are top on the waiting list for that school, then automatically that seat will be given to your child and your current offer will be given to the next child on the list.
PP
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You should always accept the place given (unless you would go private or homeschool). The LA has offered you a place and therefore met its obligation to give you a place. If you decline, they are not obliged to offer you a place later.

Accepting does not affect waiting list positions for higher preference schools.

Some LAs will now not even allow you to decline a place without an explanation if what your plans are.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS will not release scores. All that matters at this stage is where you are on the waiting list.

HBS will allocate waiting list places so you will know how likely you are to get a place.

It will have no impact on you accepting your second choice which you should do.

If you are offered a place by HBS off the waiting list you will be given a couple of days to decide if you wish to take the HBS offer or stay with your second choice.

Once the private school deadline passes on 3rd March there will be a number of places handed back, although some will keep both places until they actually have to start at one of the schools in September.

Last year they invited the top 20 on the waiting list to the offer day as they knew they were very likely to get a place. DG
flojo1234

Post by flojo1234 »

Thank you all. I really appreciate all of your inputs to this matter. The way the information is worded by the LA can seem confusing and daunting.
I'll accept my second choice for now and see if HBS gets in touch with me. I don't want to bombard HBS with calls and emails knowing full well that they would be inundated at this time. Our second choice school is definitely a very good one and it's physically much more closer to our home as opposed to HBS. So maybe it might just be a sign....? Decisions decisions!!
Once again, thank you all!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you for your appreciation.

Keep checking the thread. More details could well emerge tomorrow. DG
Enfparents

Post by Enfparents »

HBS emailed parents this morning inviting those who have been offered a place or 'are near the top of the waiting list and therefore likely to be offered a place in due course' to an online meeting.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now